Chapter Eight

"You just always have to make an entrance, don't you?"

"Take part of the responsibility, dear. You could've told me you were back."

Charlotte smiled at her old friend.

"It's nice to see you too."

"I gather you're still infatuated with Damon Salvatore."-His tone expressed obvious disgust as he inspected the room.

"I'm sorry, but I need a drink to continue this conversation."

She concentrated on her surroundings, making sure no one was close enough to hear them. She handed him a glass of bourbon and they sat next to each other quietly, sipping on their drinks.

"How's Rebekah?"

"As exasperating as you remember her. How's Damon?"

"You could apply that statement to him too."

Elijah chuckled and took her hand, planting a soft kiss on its top. He was always so charming.

"He truly loves Elena."-She looked away from Elijah-"And she's so great, Elijah. I barely know her, but I'm sure. She's not like Katherine."

"If you're not here for Damon, then what for?"

Charlotte didn't answer, finishing off her drink.

"You're here to kill Katherine."-Realization swept over him.

"I'm pushing a stake right through her heart."-Her eyes acquired a perverse glint-"She won't be able to stop me. Her days are counted."

"Why wouldn't you ask for my help?"

"Because you have feelings for her, even if you won't admit it. You care about them all. Tatia, Katherine, Elena-and even me for belonging to the same line. That's how strong your love is."

"So when do you plan to do so?"-He pretended not to hear her. He never liked admitting to anyone-including himself, that he was capable of love.

She shook her head disapprovingly.

"Now, my dear friend, that's not something I'm telling you because of what I said previously. I can't waste this opportunity with you saving her."

"And what happens after you achieve your goal? Will you stay with Damon, even if he loves Elena?"

She touched her daylight ring absentmindedly. Staying or leaving? What was the best choice? Was there even one? She would get hurt either way.

"I kill Katherine and I'm done with Mystic Falls... Forever."

1864

Katherine slammed Charlotte's door furiously, calling her name.

"There you are!"

Charlotte looked away from her reflection in the mirror, pretending to be surprised.

"What's wrong, sister?"

Katherine narrowed her eyes and walked towards her, slapping her across the face.

"How dare you feed Damon vervain?"

Charlotte gulped, trying to calm down. This was Katherine-she reminded herself, the girl that saved her when she was about to go into a house in flames. She was the one who took care of her when her family died and she became an orphan.

"I don't know what you are talking about."

Katherine held her hand up to hit her again, but closed it in a fist and let it go.