Chapter Four

1864

To say that Giuseppe Salvatore was angry at his son, Damon, for deserting the army would be an understatement. He considered desertion a sign of weakness, the most terrible flaw a man could possess.

But none of that mattered to Damon, because he had done it out of love-which was worst than weakness in his father's standards. The opportunity of courting the beautiful Katherine Pierce was worth the humiliation. So what if Giuseppe felt ashamed of him and didn't waste the chance of telling him so? As long as he could hold Katherine, as long as he could love her deeply and passionately like he loved her; nothing else was important.

The problem was that he couldn't do any of those things because she was dancing with Stefan. All that was left to do was stare at them heartbrokenly and wonder about why had she chosen his brother to escort her. They loved each other, why would she be with Stefan?

Charlotte Pierce stood next to Damon with a bored look on her face. She certainly hadn't picture this when he asked to escort her to the Founder's Ball. It was obvious that he would much rather be with Katherine.

"May I have this dance, Mr. Salvatore?"-she bowed and extended her hand in a gentleman like way, tired of his pitiful expression.

The guests around them stared at them in disbelief. They couldn't believe that the youngest Pierce sister would have such nerve or that Damon Salvatore wouldn't had asked his companion to dance like a gentleman would do.

"People are looking at us, Charlotte."-he blushed at the attention and crossed his arms.

"So what, a lady can't ask a man to dance? Am I supposed to just wait for you to finally realize that I am dying to do so? Well, Mr. Salvatore, that seems very unfair to me. If I want to dance, I should be able to."

He shook his head at her usual feminist speeches, and took her to the middle of the room, where Katherine and Stefan danced gracefully. Katherine noticed their presence instantly and was unhappy by their proximity. Both Salvatores were hers; Charlotte had no right to be with Damon. She was supposed to accompany her and only her, she couldn't be taking interest on any man, and even less Damon!

Damon and Charlotte glided like old lovers. They looked at each other with a hint of lust, like a couple reunited after a very long time of not seeing each other. Their moves irradiated desire, their palms seemed to want nothing more than finally meet. Still somehow they managed to smile like the best of friends.

"The simple intimacy of the near touch."-Charlotte said mockingly, chuckling as their hands almost touched.

"You are beautiful."-He said simply and all of a sudden, catching her off guard.

She looked down nervously before meeting his eyes again. For the first time, he truly admired her features. She had never felt more insecure in her existence as when he gave her that scrutinizing look.

Those three words were enough to make Katherine break. If she left them together the rest of the night, she was sure that she would lose Damon. She excused herself to Stefan and gave Damon a suggestive smirk as she left the room.

"Would you excuse me for a second?"-Damon muttered to Charlotte, dazzled and went after Katherine.

Outside, making sure that she was close enough to the house to be heard by Charlotte, Katherine waited for Damon. Once he got out, she pulled him to a place they would be unseen to the guests. She pressed her lips against his fiercely, barely letting him breathe.

"How I regret choosing Stefan..."-She lied.

"Then tell him you desire to dance with me."-He frowned and caressed her cheeks.