Chapter Three

1864

"Wait, where did you learn this game?"-Stefan asked.

"Camp outside Atlanta!"-Damon yelled, laughing while Charlotte and him fought for the ball.

"And what are the rules?"

"Who needs rules?"-She laughed arrogantly when she achieved to win in their pull fight.

"Miss Charlotte, are you sure that you want to join us? My brother likes to play rough."

"Somehow I believe you play rougher."-Katherine said, appearing in the doorway.

Charlotte spared a miserable look at Damon, who's heart sped up at the very sight of Katherine. How could he not notice Katherine only had eyes for Stefan? She had grown fond of the oldest Salvatore, they were now good friends. He also loved reading, so they always had a topic to talk about.

Katherine laughed as Charlotte threw her the ball and she ran through the garden, inviting Stefan to join her with her eyes.

"What are you doing? That is a girl who clearly wants to be chased!"-Damon pointed at Katherine, frustrated by his brother's apparent lack of intuition.

Stefan doubted for a moment, looking at Charlotte.

"If you don't do it, I will."-Damon ran after Katherine.

"Miss Charlotte?"

She looked hopelessly at how Damon followed Katherine in awe.

"Yes, Stefan?"

"I was wondering if you would like to see the sunset with me later."

Stefan was interested in her. Stefan, not Damon. Charlotte felt like crying over her terrible luck. The man she fancied was after Katherine, while she wanted his brother, who liked Charlotte. She was damned.

"I must warn you, Stefan, because you have became a brother to me... My heart belongs to another man."

His face fell, but he managed to compose himself soon.

"Thank you for your honesty."

"I'm truly sorry."

"No, Miss Charlotte. You shouldn't apologize for what you feel."-he frowned-"One has no power over the heart's desires."

"How easy would everything be if we did."

Damon caught Katherine when they were far enough to be hidden from their siblings.

"You win, Mr. Salvatore."

"What is my prize?"

"What would you want it to be?"-She asked seductively.

"You, Miss Katherine."-He was hypnotized by her beauty, her strength, her everything.

"It takes more than a race to win my heart over. I'm not an easy prize."

She barely brushed her lips with his, not letting him return the kiss. She grinned and ran back to where Stefan and Charlotte were still standing.

Damon could only think about how Katherine Pierce had to be his.

Damon and Charlotte entered the Lockwood house after being reluctantly invited in by the hostess, Carol. Their black designer clothes and elegance stole more than a pair of glances.

"So the Founding Families still act like Mystic Falls royalty?"-Charlotte noted between clenched in a fake smile teeth.

"Carol Lockwood, yes."-he put his hand on her low back as they walked.