Chapter Twenty Three

"every mouth you've ever kissed

was just practice

all the bodies you've ever undressed

and ploughed into

were preparing you for me.

i don't mind tasting them in the

memory of your mouth

they were a long hallway

a door half open

a single suitcase still on the conveyor belt

was it a long journey?

did it take you long to find me?

you're here now,

welcome home."

-Warsan Shire

"Charlotte!"

A male voice kept calling her name. She groaned, covering her tired eyes with her hand.

"Jer-Bear, stop it."-Another voice answered; and even when she was half asleep, he was able to capture her whole attention. Damn Salvatore.

"Shut up, dude!"

"Dude?"-He gasped.-"That is not the correct way to address your Uncle Damon."

"Charlotte!"

For God's sake, how could they be so annoying? It was a Saturday morning!

"My girl only likes being woken up one way."-Damon smirked, tapping her rear over the covers suggestively.

"What an ass."-She mumbled out, too exhausted to roll her eyes at his implications.

"Exactly, dear. What-an-ass!"

"Go away. Too early."-She pleaded.

"You heard Auntie Char."-Damon pouted mockingly.

"Stop saying Char is my aunt!"

"Then stop acting like it."

"You know what? Yeah, let her be Aunt Char. At least that way somebody will be giving her a proper title apart from 'fuck buddy'."

Her eyes snapped open. She refused to look at them... That would be too humiliating. Damon's hand left her waist.

"Are you done?"-Damon asked coldly.

Baby Gilbert crossed his arms and tapped his foot.

"Leave."-He ordered again, but Damon challenged him by not making any attempt at moving from the bed.

Charlotte sighed and finally looked at them. She made sure not to show that Jeremy's words had affected her.

"Damon, go home. I'll get there later."

She could see the hesitation in his eyes. He was terrified of anything that could break them apart. Every time they were close to a fight, he would drop the topic and kiss her until her arguments were replaced by moans. He refused to leave, he refused to risk losing her. Their relationship could have been unlabeled, uncertain, undefined - but it was great and it was theirs, and Damon couldn't stand the possibility of ruining it, just like he seemed to ruin everything else.

"I promise."-She reassured him, and though he wasn't fully convinced, he quickly got dressed and left the house.

Jeremy was ready to leave her room as well, until she vampire sped to stand in his way.