Chapter Twenty One

1864

"Mr. Damon."-She called from the top of the staircase. He turned to look at her and chuckled at her childish moves as she hurried to meet him. Her genuine smile was contagious and he found himself smiling back at her just as brightly.

"Hello, Miss...-"-His voice faded and her face dropped.

"Have you already forgotten my name?"

"Now, what's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."-He kissed the top of her hand.-

"So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd, retain that dear perfection which he owes."-She quoted proudly.

"Now, Charlotte Pierce..."-Her heart skipped a beat at his tone.- "Even so, you are not easy to forget."

"You are quite a charmer, Mr. Salvatore."-She felt giddy just by being in his presence. She wondered how could Katherine remain impassive.

"Only when I have the privilege of such lovely company."

She gaped at him, marveling in his words and the effortless appeal he carried in them.

"I've never met a man like you."-She confessed, like the words had rushed out of her lips before she could stop them. She was astounded by her show of sudden boldness in front of a man she barely knew.

"I certainly hope that is a compliment."

"That is for me to know and for you to dot dot dot..."-She joked, only to tease him. He grinned back at her.

"I've never met a woman like you either... I think we will become great friends, Charlotte."

"Well, Mr. Salvatore, I am glad to hear that. I'm in desperate need of an adventure."-She curtsied.

Keep your eyes closed.

Take a deep breath, Caroline.

Inhale.

Exhale.

Feel the negative energy leaving your body.

"What the hell are you doing?"

Caroline twitched as she opened her eyes and found Damon Salvatore frowning, centimeters away from her face. She paused her meditation video, annoyed by his interruption.

"It's my meditation routine... Have you ever heard of personal space?"

"So, basically, you are sitting on your ass while Bonnie looks for a way to bring your boyfriend back from the purgatory?"

"Excuse me? It's not like I'm a freaking witch. Plus, I'm helping."

"How?"

"I'm getting rid of all the negative energy. It'll make it easier for her to do the spell."-She narrowed her eyes.- "Sadly, I can't get rid of you."

"Quite sad, I'm kind of a fountain of bad energy."

She scoffed.

"Trust me, I know."

She waited for him to leave, but he didn't move.

"You're ruining my chakra, Damon. Namaste."-She pushed him away.

"Try learning the meanings of the words before expanding your vocabulary."

She rolled her eyes and proceeded to do the hardest yoga pose she knew. She remained arrogant when Damon stared at her as if she were a freak of nature. Good, that will shut him up.