Chapter Two

-Mystic Falls, Virginia 1864-

Katherine and Charlotte Pierce sat quietly in their carriage, on their way to the Salvatore estate.

"Why the Salvatores of all people?"-Charlotte asked with a frown, breaking the silence.

Katherine smiled sweetly and caressed her cheek.

"Because, my dear sister, they are very wealthy."

"But also a founding family, which means they belong to the Council."

"Then we must not let anyone know what we are. There's nothing to fear with these wonderful amulets Emily made."

"I will never be able to thank you enough, Emily. The shadows are not a place for me."

"It was my honor, Miss Charlotte."-Their chocolate skinned handmaid, a witch, nodded.

The carriage came to a stop and the chauffeur opened the door. Emily was the first one to get out and Katherine followed soon after. Charlotte smiled at Emily as she helped her with her gown. The youngest Salvatore waited patiently, amused by the beauty of the two ladies.

"You must be the Pierce sisters."

"Please,"-Katherine bowed and he kissed her hand-"call me Katherine."

"Then I assume you're Ms. Charlotte."-He kissed Charlotte's hand next.

"You assume well, Sir; although I don't remember hearing your name."

"I'm Stefan, Stefan Salvatore."

"After turning fifteen, I started to get rebellious against my father. One night I sneaked out without his permission, and when I came back before dawn, I found the house burning to ashes. I tried to get in to save my family, but Katherine was there to stop me. She said she had seen the fire and ran to help, but the flames were unstoppable. Once the fire extinguished, I looked inside the house and found three unrecognizable bodies... I thought they were my parents and brother. Katherine was there to comfort me and gave me shelter, and after some time, she confessed her secret to me. I was an orphan, I had no one and nothing, so when she proposed to turn me at eighteen 'so we could spend eternity as sisters', I accepted. I always questioned her actions through the years, but she somehow always changed my mind and turned it around to make me think I was wrong. It wasn't until 1864 that I really stood up to her. She wanted to keep you and Stefan as her personal toys, and I wasn't going to let that happen. I became an obstacle in her plans, and she left me to be incinerated in the church along with the other vampires; while she was safe and sound far away. Emily helped me escape before they took me away."

With a sharp intake of breath, Charlotte paused and started buttoning the shirt Damon just put on. She had never told her story to anybody before and she was glad he didn't interrupt her.

"But surprise, surprise... It was all a lie."-Sarcasm dripped from her tone-"I found out later that my family was alive the entire time. Katherine compelled them to leave and she burnt the house down with three civilians she drained. I suppose you've heard that Katerina Petrova had a daughter unmarried, who was taken away because of the disgrace it brought to her family. That daughter was Liliya Golacov, my mother. Upon discovering Liliya had a daughter and a son of her own; she arranged everything to keep me as her eternal companion."

"Why us?"-Damon asked, feeling incredibly sorry for Charlotte.

"I lost track of her. No one knows where she is."

"I don't think I am right for the job, I spent 145 years trying to open a tomb she was never inside of to begin with."

"She will come back to Stefan soon. That will be my chance, but I can't do it alone."