Chapter Twenty Four

Plato once expressed: "Only the dead have seen the end of war."... Was death the only path that led to peace? It seemed like every time they were close to raise bright white flags to adorn their lives together, a new army appeared in the distance; ready to threaten the foundations of everything they had built.

Charlotte lay on the couch, listening to Damon as he read "The Great Gatsby" aloud. She played with a lock of her hair absentmindedly. She was still getting used to its length and the time absorbing bangs... Of course, her bad haircut was last on her list of worries.

"The officer looked at Daisy while she was speaking, in a way that every young girl wants to be looked at sometime..."-He purred in her ear, but she didn't react. She could only think about war... About Katherine lurking in the darkness while they were asleep. About Katherine taking him away from her.

Damon sighed and closed the book.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Katherine."-She answered.

"Kinky."-He smirked, teasing her.

"Bonnie hasn't been around much."-She commented, staring down at her fingers and chipping the nail polish off.

"Don't take it personally. She hates me."

"I can barely feel the bond."

"I'm sure she's fine. She just needs some time to cope with the whole spirits taking her dead grandmother hostage thing."

Charlotte nodded and cuddled closer to him. War was coming. She couldn't stop it... She could only fight.

Enzo barged in and sat next to Damon. He was staying over at the boarding house, making sure to annoy the hell out of them during his visit.

"This town is a bore."

"Good. Leave."

Damon pinched the bridge of his nose. It didn't matter how hard he tried or how many times he asked them to behave, Charlotte and Enzo simply wouldn't get along. Charlotte hated his old friend, and there was nothing his old friend enjoyed more than her open displays of despise.

"The Elena lookalike - what are we going to do about her?"-Enzo asked, ignoring her.

"Katherine."

"Oh, she's the woman you wouldn't stop mentioning back in the cell?"

Charlotte looked down. Damon's love for Katherine was still a delicate subject... And, to their dismay, Enzo had already figured it out.

"What's the plan? I'm always up for a little vendetta."

"We were planning to-"

"Why do you wanna know?"-Charlotte interrupted Damon, narrowing her eyes. Why would Enzo care about Katherine? He didn't even know her. He had no reason to offer his help. He had made it pretty clear that he still held a grudge against Damon for leaving him behind. Nobody with that amount of resentment could be a loyal friend - even less engage in a battle that wasn't his.

"Alright, we need to talk."-Damon shook his head and guided an annoyed Charlotte to his bedroom.

Charlotte sat on his bed, crossing her arms and silently challenging him.

"He's eavesdropping."

"I couldn't care less. I'm tired of driving around just so the princess of Bitchland feels like talking."

"Do you even know how did Enzo escape from the fire?"-She asked out of the blue.

"He said he escaped after I left the building."