Chapter Seventeen

Charlotte's heart stopped as soon as Damon walked in the room again, looking shocked after answering a phone call. Was it Klaus? Was it Bonnie calling him after finding out that Charlotte had been bitten? She waited for him to speak, expecting him to yell and drag her out of the attorney's office.

"Joan Jett called..."-He swallowed dramatically.- "She wants her hairstyle back."

She rolled her eyes while he smirked and sat next to her. Her paranoia had to stop-it was eating her alive.

"You're a dick."

"Liz was the one calling..."-He ignored her.-"The Council is planning a meeting tomorrow."

"Are the..."-She leaned closer to him to whisper in his ear with a fake worried tone.-"...animal attacks occurring again?"

"I'm afraid so."

She let out a melodramatic gasp, putting her hand over her heart. He couldn't recall the last time he had been so happy – genuinely happy. Charlotte had a witty answer to everything he said; her mischievous grin always perfectly matching his own. There, far from the chaos and opinions of everyone, everything felt real.

"Can I go with you?"

"Those meetings are confidential, only the founding families are allowed to be present."-He tapped her nose playfully.

She pouted and naughtiness sparked in his eyes.

"Though I am curious about what would you be eager to do to get in."

"Is my love not enough?"

He snorted.

"Elijah would've let me."-She tried to unleash his jealousy but he simply scoffed at her.

"I'm not Elijah, you're not getting shit with that pout."

Her hand rested deliberately on his thigh. He could laugh at her predictable attempt. She was going to have to do a lot better to convince him.

"I have other methods."

"I might consider it."

"Might?"

"You offered me a road trip and then brought me to an attorney's office. I'm going to punish you, not reward you."-He didn't notice the implication of his words until Charlotte raised an eyebrow. He then tried to block the very suggestive images that came to his mind. -"For fuck's sake, Char, control that filthy mind of yours. Why are we here, again?"

"I've told you a dozen times. We are putting Jeremy in my last will."

"And I've told you a dozen times that vampires don't write last wills."

"We can still die, Salvatore."

"Highly unlikely."

"How many times have you been on the edge of dying?"

"I'm still here, aren't I?"

They stopped their argument when the lawyer came in, bringing a pack of papers for Charlotte to sign. Damon watched her and every move she made closely. The attorney spoke to her and she nodded her head politely to look like she was paying attention, but Damon could see her fingers drumming on her knees and her foot tapping to the beat of what he could swear was a Lef Deppard song. She wrote her name with perfect calligraphy on each line that required it, her mouth parting slightly as she evaded making any mistakes. She shook the man's hand with a fake smile and thanked him, even though he had been too slow. Charlotte was a totally well put together woman to anyone who glanced at her. Suddenly, having seen her in her vulnerable moments felt like a privilege. He knew her better than any other man would ever know her. Not Stefan, or Matt, or even Elijah knew the parts of her that he had been able to experience.