Playing Rough

“Put your mask on we’re almost there.” Axel said taking out a simple, black Venetian eye mask. I took out a replica and place it over my eyes. After a few minutes we landed in a crowded field filled with dragons and people. I stuck close to Axel as we headed to the sign in booth. These people were creepy and you could tell with just one look that they didn’t play nice.

“Hi, we’re here to sign up for the next race.” I said a little nervous. The check in guy was a bald man with an eye patch and a scar running across the side of his face. He looked at us skeptically.

“You guys are dragon racers?” he said laughing at us. Axel and I were indeed dragon racers. The only problem, we were both underage to race and if we were ever caught, we would lose our dragons and the chance to race ever again. I started racing a year ago and I met Axel at one of the races and we bonded over the love of racing.

“Yes we are.” Axel said showing his fake I.D. I took mine out from my pocket and showed it as well.

“Kid these races are illegal as it is nobody cares if you’re underage or not.” We both relaxed a little. This was the first time we were doing illegal racing. It supposedly made more money than regular races and was a great place for finding out secrets. Axel needed the money to help out his family. Although, his parents thought he had a more stable job. I entered to see if I can find out more about the upcoming war. “There will an entry fee of ten pentts.” We paid the amount. “And will you be rentin’ one of our saddles?” He pointed behind him to a bunch of burnt, torn up, old dragon saddles.

“No thanks I have.” Axel said speaking for himself.

“And for the little lady?”

“No, I don’t use saddles.” I said as if it was normal. The man looked shocked

“Aren’t you afraid of falling off?”

“Nope, I think I’ll be just fine.” I said with confidence

“Are you sure? These races can get really rough?” The man said making his final offer.

“Well if I wanted something easy, I would have gone to a petting zoo, kids ride dragons for free.” I was starting to get a little cocky, but I didn’t care it felt good. The man gave a toothy smile.

“I like you kid, you’ve got spunk.” I smiled and thought this might be the one opportunity to get some answers.

“Say you wouldn’t happen to know anything about the upcoming war?” I asked hopefully.

“Ah… so that’s why you’re here for some answers.” I nodded eagerly. “They say the south boarders are no longer safe, not even for people like us. Rumor has it that dragons are being taken.”  He scooted his seat closer and gestured for me to come closer. I moved my head closer trying to ignore the foul scent he gave off. “They say that the dragons are being taken to Remule.” My eyes widened in shock.

Remule was the sworn enemy of Seb and was our adversary in the Great War. They didn’t take to kindly to dragons as we did. It is said that if a wild dragon was found in Remule, they would strip it of its scales and claws while it’s still alive. The captor would then cut off the dragon’s head in victory of his capture. He would be able to sell the rest of the body parts for high amount. There was no law against this in Remule and it made me sick just thinking about it.

“But why would Remule need more dragons?”

“I don’t know maybe for money… a stronger army.” I narrowed my eyes. Before I could ask anymore question Axel called me over. I thanked the man and ran to Axel.

“The race is about to start get ready.” I started to head for Rose when he grabbed the back of my hand and stopped me. “If all of this gets too overwhelming for you, it’s okay to back out I won’t judge you for it.”

“Don’t worry I’ll be fine.” I said truthfully. I attempted to leave, but once again he stopped me.

“I’m serious, this could get really crazy.” I looked into his concerned green eyes for a moment before responding.”

“I promise, if things get too out of hand I’ll quite. I reassured him with a smile and he finally let me go.

“Dragons at the ready!” The starter said as we all waited impatiently for the race to begin. I took a final glance at Axel. He looked so serious. I knew that if there was a slight possibility that I would win, I would give my money to him. He needed it more than I did anyways. “Get set!” I turned my head and concentrated. “Race!” A gun shot was heard and in an instant over a dozen dragons took to the sky.

The first few minutes were chaos. Dragons were biting and clawing each other just to get ahead. Some even threw fire bolts. During the confusion, I had lost sight of Axel. I decided that it would be safer if I flew higher. When I was high enough, I took a quick glimpse at the mess that was happening below me. Unfortunately, my sight was blocked when a huge ball of flame flew across and Rose had barely enough time to avoid it. I turned around to see a heavy set man riding a sleek green dragon.

My eyes widened in shock as the dragon opened his mouth and a small orange ball began to grow. “Rose!” I screamed. And without another word she understood and she began to speed through the clouds. “Left  spiral!” I shouted as a blaze came toward us. My gripped tightened as our speed increased. My eyes narrowed as we approached a break between two canyon walls. It was quite narrow, but I bet my luck that Rose was just small enough to fit. I smiled as we made it through the crack. I turned back to see the fat man’s dragon was too big to make it through. He sneered at us and his dragon drew one last flaming breath before disappearing.

“Faster! Faster Rose!” I said panicked. I could see that we were almost through, but the inferno had caught up to us. I heard Rose cry out in pain as her hind leg got burned. “Come on girl we’re almost there.” I said encouraging her. She had grown weary and I knew her burn was torturing her. I could begin to see the finish line flag when out of nowhere, that vicious dragon came charging at us. I couldn’t make Rose go any faster, she was too tired and her flying was becoming unsteady.

I watched in horror as the dragon came closer and closer. His jaws opened once again and I cringed preparing for the worst. “Luna!” I heard a familiar voice call from above me. I opened my eyes to see Axel and Knight soaring above me. In one quick motion Knight latched onto the other dragon and bit him. “Get out of here!” I looked to Axel and gave a quick nod of thanks before heading to the finish line.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hi I hoped you guys enjoyed Chapter 3. Also i want to make a quick shout out to My friend Trevor for making an awesome banner for my story!