Daybreak And Heartache

For the past six hours, Fang paced around in his room, played some video games, and he even tried meditation to calm his nerves, but nothing could shut his brain up. Every fifteen minutes, he would stare at his alarm clock expecting it to go off too early and then he'd have to get ready for his inevitable death. Fang sat down on his bed and pulled something out of his night stand. The bed dipped naturally into Fang's form as he laid down. In his hands was simple picture of his sister, Luna, and himself.

Fang looked at his alarm clock 5:45. He sighed and stared back at the photo. It was the middle of winter and the gang had gone ice skating. Fang remember hating it because he didn't like the feeling of sliding around. May and Luna on the otherhand skated for hours, ignoring any complaints to go home from Fang.

The boy rolled over and smirked. May was a natural skater she looked like a ballerina dancing on the ice. Every move she made was graceful and elogant. It made everyone else skating look like, a toddler learning to walk for the first time. Fang broke into a full smile as he focused his attention on Luna. In the photo she wore a knitted hat that matched nicely with her brunette hair. Her nose was slightly red from the cold, but it was her bright eyes and smile that caught Fang's attention. She was a terrible skater. Every time she fumbled or crashed into the walls, you couldn't help, but squint. She couldn't even make it through a full song without falling three or four times. He offered his help several times and so did May, but she wouldn't have any of it. She had this intence determination and not once did she take a break. Fang loved that about her. When she set her heart on something there was no changing it. There was a stray hair that covered Luna's hair in the photo and he so, badly wanted to brush it away.

Fang looked back the clock. 5:59. 

Only one more minute. He thought as he looked at the photo. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, the shrill of his alarm clock invaided his ears and he sat up with a new spark in his eyes.

*~*~*

It was the sound of Rose's cry that woke me up. I took a deep breath and sat up way too quickly. I clutched my head as it felt like, my skull was being split in half with a chainsaw. I opened my eyes once more to hear someone clicking there tongue.

"Tsk, calm down dragon. I'm only here to help."  To show he meant no harm, the hunter raised both arms up. I noticed a familiar looking plant in his left arm and I furrowed my brows in confusion.

"I thought you said there wasn't any Fenn left in the forest?" 

"There isn't." He responded nonchalantly. His eyes never left Roses' "I had to go back home to get it." 

"Well do you live by or something because I thought I told you to leave a few minutes ago?" The sun was still hanging brightly in the sky and I thought I had only been out for maybe a half hour or so.

"You did tell me to leave... Yesterday."

The hunter whistled and his dog came out from some bushes. In his furry little mouth was a fish almost as large as he was. Albeit, there was a good portion chewed up and missing. It didn't take a genius to figure out who'd eaten it.

"Tsk, Jack!" The hunter clicked his tongue. "This is for your dragon." He nudged his head toward Rose and his dog walked over and dropped the fish in front of Rose. He watched wide-eyed as she sniffed it. She was about to lick it, but I put a hand on her stomach to stop her. I could feel her belly rumble in protest.

"Wait! How do I know you didn't poison it?" I looked at the man skeptically and he snorted.

"Look at it. My dog ate off half the head. If I poisoned it, do you really think I would let my dog near it?"