Chapter 4

J A C O B

"She talk to you yet?"

I shook my head. "Nah... only in front of the kids."

"You sleeping in the room?"

"Surprisingly man."

Rodney chuckled. "I told you not to do it but your dumb ass always wanna go against my judgement."

I sighed. "I ain't know she was gonna take it that bad."

"Well one, your assistant was rude as fuck and Lyric don't like rude and two, she's a female and y'all just got good two nights ago." 

I sat down on Rodney's couch. "I gotta go apologize to my assistant for Lyric cause she ain't gonna work for me."

"Fire her. Just fire the girl."

"Why?"

"Cause after that big ass argument the other night, it's gonna look like you were tryna protect your assistant and not Lyric. And that looks bad."

I shook my head. "She know I got her back... only if she'd let me explain sometimes."

He sighed. "Nigga... listen. This is your first time actually going through this type of shit with your woman and it's sometimes regular but it's a bad regular-"

"Not my first time."

"Well, this is the first time I experienced it from y'all. So, whenever you go against what your girl wants, you're not tryna protect her. So if you put this female before your girls wants, it's gonna go downhill and do not say I didn't warn you."

I nodded. "I won't say it cause you're wrong."

"Okay..."

M E L O D Y

"Hey Lou." 

I looked up at Jacey's brother. "Hey."

He smiled. "Wassup. How you been?"

"I'm cool. Just busy."

I rolled my eyes. "Hmph."

He sat down across from Jacey. "And you say I take too many breaks?"

"I didn't say that. I say you leave too early. I'm here." I shook my head. "Well, in that case I'm leaving in about ten minutes so shut up."

"Last time I'm covering for you."

I smirked. "You say that every time."

"I'm serious now." She said crossing her legs.

I started folding clothes again. 

"So where have you gotten with the case?"

"Right, umm... we haven't made any progress."

Jacey's face dropped before she softly smirked, catching me looking at her. Why would she worry if I'm listening? Her brother's a detective.

She sighed. "Y'all gotta figure out what happened. We're... you're running out of time."

I raised my eyebrow. What did she mean we? I don't remember Jacey ever being a detective and why is Lou telling about cases anyways? I thought that was illegal, but I don't fuck with the police so I'd never know.

He nodded. "I know, but I feel like maybe we're a step closer because we found one of Ghost's old workers and we're trying to see if we can get something out of him."

"Don't torture this one please..."

I shook my head. "Awkward..." I mumbled to myself.

I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket as I went into the employee's lounge. I checked my text messages, smiling. "Cool."