new clothes

Moanas pov

I let my body move out of memory. A dance taught to me as soon as I could walk.
The sun peaks from the horizon as my feet stay firm on the rocks.
'It is time to go. The village will be rising.' It reminds me.
I offer the ocean a soft smile. The warm water touches my toes before retreating back. I grin fondly.
"I will see you tomorrow morning, maybe tonight if I can manage. Today might not be as busy as yesterday."

I let my eyes linger on my 'forbidden love'. I can't help but wonder what is happening on all of the islands as they wake. Part of me wants take off into the distance. Just to see. Learn something new.
I peal my eyes away. And head toward the village.
Perhaps it's best to keep my thoughts here on Holokai (montinui #2) until Father returns from the neighboring island. 
--------------------------

"Moana, good morning, my dear. How was the water this morning? Do you think our fisherman will have a successful yield today?"
I smile softly at Laymiu. She makes her way to the path, supporting a cane and walks with me. I slow my pace, so it isn't such a hassle for her to keep up.

" Good morning. It was warm and fairly calm. I think we will do well today."
She smiles at me," Your grandmother could always tell things like that, just like you do." She nudges me. I stop walking and smile at her fondly, "thank you Laymui, did the threads come out good?"
"Ahh, yes. Yes." She nods.
"They came out fine as usual. And I finished that out-fit for you." She gestures to the thread hut.
" Come."
I look at her questionably. "I didn't request a new outfit Laymui. I dont need one."
She waves me off as she heads down the path.
"Your mother requested it." 
I follow her.

" My mother? What about the kids? Have you been able to make Jade and Setu their new outfits?"

"Ah hush child. They are taken care of. That Jade, her outfit is the nicest piece to leave this hut in years. That green dye was hard to make." She informs me as she moves around the hut.

" Now, here." She shoves out a folded pile in front of me.
" Wear it tomorrow. I want to see it on you. And come here before you go to the ocean. I will pliat that hair of yours out of the way." She instructs me as she moves about her business.
Laymui was a good friend of my grandmas, she is very different from her though. No ocean visits in her future. Its having someone who knew her. Not just the chief she had to be or the mother, but the wonderful friend she was... she reminds me of that.

I look at the clothes in my hands. I sigh. There is no need to try and get out of it. Laymui is like grandma in that way.

" So dear, where is that hunk of a demigod? Is he still out on that trip?"
The mention of Maui makes my chest hurt.
There's been no sign of him for 2 and a half months now.
He was supposed to return in 2 moon cycles... but he hasn't. Something has delayed his return,  and I fear the worst. He is a trouble maker. Just last cycle,  I had to persuade the ocean not to drown him.

Laymui senses my worry, "not back yet huh?"

She moves threads and bowls of dye " oh well. He'll get here. He never stays away too long, you know?" She turns her head back and winks at me. " He can't leave you."  She chuckles lightly.
"What do you mean Layimu?" I question.
" Oh, nothing dear. Im sure he'll be back soon, is all."
"I'm not sure. Maybe he's in trouble." I voice my actual concern.
"Hes been coming back for almost 10 years now. I don't think you have anything to worry about. You keep him out of trouble." She says dismissively pulling a coconut from a basket. Readying herself for her work.
Today alone she will create yards of rope and thread. Getting started before the others even wake.
I watch her for a moment longer, finding myself wishing I will be as content as she is, in my role, at her age
----------------------

So i apologise in advance for inaccuracies in spelling, punctuation, ect. And all the cultural flaws. I don't in anyway mean offense to anybody or their culture, especially not one as articulate as moanas.

I honestly don't have a plan for this story. I just want to write one where she didn't throw herself at maui and it wasn't completely set up and fishy.
But i believe im going to fail at my task so if you dont like cheesey romance... i have a feeling that all im going to be able to produce.
But if anyone ends up reading it, i love feed back and help and tips and all that fun stuff so it comment up.

Hope you enjoy ... at least a little bit.