Severe Rain

Moanas pov

"Hey! Don't laugh at me" I shove him aside.
"Hey Curly! You're going to push me off the side." He warns.
I just shrug "It'd be your fault."

"You'd freak out if I fell." He says dismissively.
I raise an eyebrow, "Lets test it and see."

I smirk and look back.
Maui follows me up the mountain side of the far mountain. It's path isn't as flat as the highest mountain where the new stones of chiefs are placed or the cave is hidden.
It's steeper and a bit more unworked, I suppose is the word for it.
"So here we are curly. The need for adventure has drove us to find the top of the mountain."
"Actually its the only place to get Laymiu's 'uki'uki." I correct him.

"I don't know how you do it," he continues as if I said nothing.
I roll my eyes at his tone. Should I entertain it this time?
I glance back to see him watching his step.
Why not?

"Don't understand how I do what?" I prompt over my shoulder.
"Stay on this island princess."
I let a small dismissive chuckle escape my lips.
"What?!" He questions preposterously.
"Nothing." I slide a branch out of my way and maneuver under it.

"Its just Mortals are content with the littlest of what the world has to offer. I don't get it."

I can hear him struggle around the branch.
"Maybe" I suggest, " just maybe,  that's why the gods are such high maintenance. They cant be content with what the world is offering them. They look for what the world isn't offering them." I state simply.
"Wow.... okay.  I see what you're saying but what kind of life is it if you don't get to see new things, have new experiences?"
"People who never leave this island have new experiences everyday." I say simply.
"You know what I meant."
I can hear him pausing to avoid the obstacles of the path.

"Okay," I offer, " let me ask this."
" what kind of life is it to see all that the world has to offer and do it alone for thousands of years?"
I prompt.
In the absence of an answer i continue
"I mean, you've probably seen things I couldn't even dream up. And yet, you don't share them with anyone. No stories about people you've met or places you've been. Just stories about you and what you've done. Stories everyone knows."
I turn to face him.
" but you, Maui, demigod of the land and sea, have a lot to share. You just don't cause you don't get the small pictures that make up the big one."
He stops in front of me and raises and eyebrow, " oh yeah? Enlighten me." He looks at me unfaithfully.

"Okay. I will!"
" you try to please everybody. Make sure everyone knows your name and tells your stories. But with time stories die or get distorted. You brush hundreds of lives when touching 10 would leave a greater legacy."
I turn on my heals.
"By the time you defeat some monster and create a story that vaguely teaches kids a lesson your impact on one person, On a single place... that impact could last a life time." I explain nonchalantly. 

"You forget. Your life time is like an average of 70 years if your lucky." He points out.
"That's the thing. You'd never get bored. Always another life to touch." I shrug as i turn the corner.
"Yeah but why put effort into 'touching a life' as you say when that life isn't going to last?"
"People are what make experiences Maui."
I announce with out looking back.

My eyes land on indigo flowers.
We made it.'uki'uki.

"Hey do you know if we are almost there?"
" you know you didn't have to come." I announce.
  " let you climb up a crude mountain alone. No way princess... i wasn't about to miss out on all the fun."

He turns the corner and stops.
I smile " to answer your question, yes, we are here."

"Whoa... these things grow like weeds up here." He comments wide eyed.
I admire the forest of purple flowers. I catch him doing the same from the corner of my eye.
My smile deepens.
Maybe I'll be someone who was able to touch his life. I can't deny the desire to impact him like he has me.
----------------