A celebration

Moanas pov

"Happy birthday!"  I smile at Jades over enthusiastic wishes.
Her dark hair is braided like mine she wears her new green outfit Laymiu made for her.
"Why thank you. I see you got a new outfit too. " I gesture to her.
She smiles showing the gap in her teeth.
"Yea. Laymiu made it for me. Only green outfit in the whole village!"
I chuckle "You look great."
"You too!" She copies my gesture.
"Here!"
She holds out a crown of flowers "They are for Pua, I thought he'd like them. And this is for you." She hold out a maile haku (a ankle band of thick green leaves).
I smile and slide it on.
"Do you like it !?"
"It's perfect, thank you. I love it." I hug her.
"Oh and here you go Pua." She bends down and places the crown on Pua's head.
"Cheif Pua" I joke.
That makes her laugh.
"Jade." My eyes land on mom. She nods at Jade and Jade nods back.
"Bye Moana" she waves, "Hey could you maybe watch Pua for me tonight?" I stop her before she can run off. 
She grins widely "Of course. Come on Pua."
I watch Pua trot off with her.

Jade is 12 and tall. She always speaks her mind and often times finds herself in trouble, that's how I know her so well. I always​ come down and talk to her. That's also how I learned she's just curious.

"She reminds me of you. A little more energetic but."
My eyes land on my mom.
I smile "Yea I think I see it too."

She chuckles. "You ready?"
I look to the fire. The whole village is dancing and laughing. They all look like they are have so much fun.
I remind myself to breathe.
"Yea. Why not?" I offer a nervous smile.
"You'll be fine. These people are our ohana." 

"Not all of them." I remind her making her eyes meet mine. "Just try and enjoy it." I feel her shove me forward.
----------------------

Maui's pov

She forces a smile and moves hesitantly. One of the old men are dancing in front of her.
I can't help but laugh.
She's pulled away by a women and thrown into a circle of people.

I watch her slowly get comfortable. 
Her body starts to react with ever note. And she starts to smile lively.

Soon I listen to the music as it plays to her beat. She moves from partner to partner never missing a step. 

Her eyes come to life as she grabs Jade's hands. I watch the little trouble maker laugh as they dance.
Then she's off to a new partner.
Before the song is over she's danced with half the village.

Her smile never falters and She never turns down a dance.
She's letting herself get lost in the music bit by bit.

"I'm glad to see her enjoying herself and relaxing" a familiar voice sits beside me.

"Yeah. I think the water today helped." I inform her.

We both watch her in an oddly comfortable way.

"Thank you for going out with her."

"There's no need to thank me" I ensure her. 
" You know that's the first time she's been on the water on her own accord since you left?"

My eyes meet hers, 'really?' I seem to question with out words. Sina nods.
My attention turns back to Moana.
" Well that's not like her" I comment obviously. She will usually sneak away anytime she can.

"I think she needs a break honestly. She's happiest when she is out there."
I listen to her mom intently.
What is she trying to tell me?

My eyes land on her. .
"If I could prevent something from intruding on that happiness, you'd think id do it, don't you? "
I look at her carefully.
She notices my suspicion,
"I just-...I just want her to be happy. Like she is when she's out there, with you. Listening to her heart." she nudges me with a smile.
I furrow an eyebrow at her.
She chuckles, "I mean, I know my daughter but you. You can reach her out there. And I fear we'll need it soon."
Her smile fades a bit. "How ashamed Id be if I ever brought myself to ask you to do what I can't myself."