A necklace

"Don't you think it all should wait until tomorrow? " Mom prompts. I look at her a little confused on whose side she's on.

" yes. I've been away from home too long." dad nods.
I look at him confused,
" why cant you just tell me what's going on?" I question staying persistent.

"Because I'm tired Moana and there is a lot to discuss."

My eyes meet his. I know I won't get anything out of him.
But why? Why won't he just tell me why Kiaum is here? Or what happened?

"Your fathers right Moana. You should get some rest. Tomorrow is a big day. Your father can discuss what ever it is with you later."
She looks at me sympathetically.

I look between them.
You've got to be kidding me..
I sigh in defeat.

"Fine. But if you think just because its my birthday tomorrow you wont have to tell me what's going on, you're wrong.
This is my island too and I want to protect my people just like you. I deserve to know what this is about. " I state.

I stand there winded I spit it all out so fast.
My father looks at me surprised.

Maybe I shouldn't have-

His lips sink into a warm smile.
"You do deserve to know, you're right...And you will. But right now isn't the time. You have a guest to direct to his hut" My father informs me with a small 'I still know best' smile.
I sigh.

----------------------------

"Thank you. My people are grateful for your hospitality."
"You're welcome it's not a problem, we are happy to have you." I offer him a smile.
"So I hear it's your birthday tomorrow. It seems we made it just in time." He smiles making small talk.
I raise an eyebrow " you heard?.." I question with a smile on my lips.
"Hmm...you do a lot of listening." I observe aloud. "Who did you get this information from, is it going to be a big one this year?" I glance at him. He's smiling.
"From what I have gathered, with my intense listening skills, plans are defiantly underway." He chuckles. I find myself surprised to find he has a sense of humor.
Too surprised, in fact, to even groan at the idea.
"I bet it'll be bigger than last year. We'll probably have a feast and everything." I inform him slightly distracted. I take his features in a little more closely now. Noticing more of his tattoos and broad shoulders. His wide nose, well spaced and large eyes... He's balanced well... many of the women here would even say he's handsome. Well spoken so far too... and a sense of humor.  

"Well it is your birthday. " he comments cheerfully. 

Last year the whole village said happy birthday to me all day and gave me thing after thing. Necklaces, coconuts, ankle bands, drawn pictures of myself.

I move my eyes from him. Unease growing in my gut, if Father had never forced that smile. If he had looked genuinely happy to welcome these people. I would find myself liking this man. Asking about his home and his experiences as the Chiefs son. Id probably laugh with him, relate to some of his experiences. Ask him if he ever wonders about other villages. 

The sight of his hut pulls me from my thoughts. I happily let it. 
"Here we are" I gesture. "There should be blankets inside and I'm just up the path" I point to my hut.
"So if you need anything. Please let me know."

He nods simply, in a pleased way. "Thank you chief Moana." I look at him for a minute longer and he entertains my eyes with an easy smile on his lips. Hmm... Why are you here?
----------------------

"Maui!" I greet him with excitement. " Moana! " he smiles with open arms.
I run and slide my arms around his neck embracing him.
I feel his large arms wrap around me returning the gesture familiarly.
" I've missed you. Where Have you been?" I question.
"On the ocean of course," he responds slyly.
I huff and pull back so I can see his face. What's changed. His skin is no doubt darker from being on the water. Maybe he's even finally picked those eyebrows. 
"You've been gone for over 2 months." I inform him.
His smile falters a bit " I got caught up."
I look at him questionable for a second at his unease. He's not uneasy around me...
"Well don't do it again. " I command him nudging him in the chest to hopefully improve his mood.
He puts his hand on his chest like he's wounded.
"You hit me" he says with a smirk.
" I did." I confirm playfully, "And I'll do it again if you don't send word next time."
Smiling incredulously, he jokes with me, "Wow. Being chief has made you aggressive."