Chapter Ten

Song to the side

Ed sheeran- Kiss Me

My heart's against your chest, your lips pressed to my neck

I'm falling for your eyes, but they don't know me yet

And with this feeling I'll forget, I'm in love now

__________________________________

Chapter Ten

| Dmitri |

The car ride was as awkward as ever. Once I introduced Winnie to Alan he smiled, and they remembered they had biology together sophomore year. Then when I introduced Lacy, well, that didn't go too well. Lacy just stared at Winnie with a blank expression, and as Winnie retreated her hand after Lacy didn't shake it, I had a feeling we were in for a long night.

            The ride was quiet except for Alan squealing like a little girl in the backseat for how excited he was to see the band. Winnie would smile and talk when he mentioned his favorite songs and would sing some of them quite terribly. Once we parked and started walking into the venue, Winnie and I ended up a little behind Alan and Lacy.

            "I don't think your friend likes me too much." I smirk and lean down to whisper so Lacy didn't hear us.

            "I think it's mostly because she thinks you're competition, you know, for Alan." She laughs, and nudges me lightly as we continue to walk to the doors.

            "That's funny, because I thought I was your date, but hey, if he's available I don't mind a challenge." She teases.

            I stop in place as she keeps walking in front of me but turns back to smile that flirty smile I hadn't seen since the first time we met in the library. I shake my head as I run a little to catch up to her and bump her back as she laughs. I don't miss the knowing look Alan throws me before we get to the line to get inside the building.

            "Is it me or do they argue like an old married couple?" I laugh and almost spit out my drink as Winnie, and I watch another epic argument Lacy and Alan were having over the opening band.

            "Don't let them hear you say that, they'll just argue over it."

            She laughs, and I once again can't believe how beautiful she looks tonight. Her hair was down in soft waves and the white strapless blouse she wore captured more eyes than my own. The dark jeans she had on showed all her curves just right, and I had to fight to keep my eyes above her neck.

            "So how was Lillian tonight? I didn't see her when we picked you up." She smiles at me in curiosity, but her question confuses me a little.

            "She's good. She's staying with our neighbor, Alberta, she keeps her busy." I nod and take another drink from the cheap beer Alan somehow got us with his fake ID. "You always ask about her, how come?"

            This confuses me, only because I never thought anything of it. I just wanted to see how Lillian was, and if they were okay. I didn't know why, but I had my concerns for Winnie, and her little sister. I shrug and decide to keep those reasons to myself. "I don't know, isn't it the polite thing to do? Ask your friends about their family, and things of that sort." She smiles at me before answering.

            "I guess so, but I wasn't sure we were even there yet, you know... friends." I shrug and smile back to her and right before I was about to reply, the lights dimmed and the crowd screamed as the band walked on stage.