Chapter Thirteen

Song to the side

Jaymes Young- Fragments You where looking for another way out, try to fix these broken things,

All we had were fragments, you were stumbling a new way down, falling on

You're broken wings,

All we had were fragments.   

Edit done by @Goodnyte

_________________________________  

Chapter Thirteen

     | Dmitri |      

            "Bazin, why the hell are you working today?"

            I roll my eyes as Alan and Lacy walk in the bookstore, but keep unpacking the boxes full of new books. "I like to work on Saturdays."

            "Lame, I thought you'd be with Winnie making little Dmitri juniors or something." Lacy smacks him in the back of the head, and then picks up one of the books from a shelf.

            "Sorry, he hasn't matured to our level yet, or any level for that matter." Alan rolls his eyes at Lacy, and then proceeds to take the books I've just stacked nice and neatly out of order.

            "So why aren't you with, Winnie? You guys have been like glued together lately."

            I shrugged, and restocked everything Alan messed up as he's now moved on to the magazine racks. The thought of Winnie excites me but then it also concerns me. We haven't really talked about what happened that night with her mother, and the boyfriend. I didn't want to push, I figured she would tell me when she was ready, but it seemed to make her think I would just drop her at any moment now and maybe she would never be ready.

            "Uh oh, trouble in paradise, young Bazin?" I sigh deeply at my friends questionable expressions. Sometimes I felt like Winnie and my mother were the only ones who could read me but then I remembered I've been friends with these two my whole life.

            "It's fine." I mumbled.

            "Clearly. We can tell by your depressing sighs and you went quiet for a while there. It's pretty obvious, Dmitri, what's up?"

            I shrug again, and put down the books I was holding. I wasn't going to tell them about what happened at the pizza parlor. I knew for sure Winnie wouldn't want everyone in her business, and it was none of mine to tell. So I thought I'd keep it as vague as possible or at least try to.

            "It's nothing really. It's just that, Winnie is kind of quiet about things. If something is bothering her she doesn't tell me or if something goes wrong she right away thinks I'm going to break up with her or something. It's just kind of frustrating when someone you care a lot about doesn't seem to believe in your relationship."

            They stayed quiet for a few seconds. I can already hear the snarky comment Alan wants to make but it never comes. Instead it's Lacy, level headed determined little Lacy, coming to my aid. "Well, it's only been like some odd weeks or so, maybe she isn't ready to get in too deep." I nod taking in her words.

            Except they don't sit well with me and again the idea to share what's happened crosses my mind, but I shut it out. Technically we've been dating for a bit but I felt closer. To me, in my eyes, I cared for Winnie a great deal and those feelings were beginning to run deep.