Broken

Two weeks later when we’re in America at last, I’m sitting in a new hotel, poking Niall as Katherine looks at Zayn with puppy eyes.

            “Baby I feel fine! We can go by ourselves! You don’t need to come! You’ll just be bored!” she follows him around as he finds a shirt and tugs it on.

            “But what if some fans find you? Last time you were by yourself…” He flinches and can’t help from letting his eyes wander to her side, where an ugly scar lays beneath her Of Mice & Men t-shirt.

            “I’ll have Patric with me this time! Baby we’re just going shopping! Pleaseeeee?” she begs, sticking out her bottom lip. Twinning her arms around his neck and looking up at him.

            He sighs “Are you sure I don’t need to go?”

            “Yes” she answers immediately.

            He rubs her arms, his fingers slipping over the old scars that she’s slowly starting to expose and not care about. “Okay, I trust you to take care of yourself, please call me if you get into trouble” he kisses her and then hugs her, pressing her into his chest.

            “Yay!” she squeals and kisses him back, then pouncing on Niall.

            He isn’t as hard to convince. He quickly agrees, but pulls me into a passionate kiss before he lets us leave.

            “But take Paul” Niall and Zayn say at the same time.

            We borrow Harry’s car and drive to the mall.

            “Where do you want to go first?” Katherine nudges me once we get inside the double set of mall doors.

            “I need some new jeans” I say and grab her arm, tugging her with me into a Rue 21 store. We’re both dressed in hats and sunglasses. I’m wearing a ‘Teenage Dirtbag’ sweatshirt and black skinny jeans, with sneakers, a beanie, and sunglasses. Katherine’s dressed in the Of Mice & Men t-shirt, white skinny jeans, flip flops, sunglasses, and a black beanie to go with her shirt.

            We spend the day shopping and then go for lunch, filling the car with the bags. We’re leaving the restaurant and we don’t see the cameras and the fans until it’s too late. Paul walks next to us, glaring at the girls and boys starting to surround us.

            “Over here sweetie I want a picture of the boy that has Niall’s heart!” A pap calls to me, shoving a camera in my face.

            I feel Katherine’s newly done nails dig into my wrist and she grabs a hold of me and starts running. She pants hard and holds onto her side with one hand as Paul holds the fans back. We turn a corner and are blocked by a wall of paps. We shove into them, pushing every direction to get past.

            “Hey fag! I want a picture for the magazine! Look up!” I try to ignore them, my attitude flares, I push it down, Katherine doesn’t. Her nails dig harder into my skin, and I’m sure she’ll draw blood soon. The same pap calls out to her this time “Hey! Whore! Let me catch a glimpse of that pretty face!” this she can handle. “Patric! Faggot! Look in the camera I wanna see the pain in your eyes when I tell you that Niall doesn’t love you” this, Katherine can’t handle. She stops suddenly and I crash into her back. She’s as rigid as stone, her jaw clenched. She turns slowly, pinning her fiery eyes on the pap that can’t seem to shut his damn mouth.

            “Hey, dumbfuck” she snarls, her canine teeth showing above her new lip piercing “Shut the fuck up” she advances. The pap laughs and starts taking pictures.