Chapter 1

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Early Monday winter
7:36am

I grabbed my coat from the rack in my closet. I quickly swung it on my arm as I grabbed my combat boots and slipped them over my shin length black socks.

I trekked around my room and picked my black jansport book bag up from the corner of my room, setting it on my bed while glancing around making sure I didn't miss any important books.

A knock sounded on my room door as I slipped my coat on making sure to zip and button every single area making sure air can't fill the cracks.

Winter doesn't play up here in minnesota and being sick in winter was the worst, especially because I catch colds so easily.

My immune system isn't all that strong.

"Come in." I yelled as my brother almost twisted the door knob before stopping.

"Is it clear." he yelled behind the door sounding unsure.

I laughed lightly, he was so nervous from the one time he walked in on me changing like 3 months ago.

I was in a bra and panties but he still felt bad that he invaded my privacy and always knocked before he entered my room now.

He was honestly such a sweet person and just had the most kind soul, I'm sure he gets it from our mom.

"Yes its clear Machar, you can come in." I stated as he walked in and sat on the bed.

"I'm almost done I just have to find my bracelet." I said looking for the handmade beaded piece of jewelry my grandma gave me before she passed back in Africa a couple years ago.

My dad and his family immigrated to America from South Sudan for a better life in 1987 after their father was murdered by a rebel soldier during the civil war.

Being that he was youngest out of 6 he had a very close relationship to his mother my aboba-meaning grandma in my native language.

After I turned 6 she went back to South Sudan to rekindle her relationship with her brother who she lost during fleeing the civil war.

She found him but not before she became old and weak.

When my dad heard she was dying, her only wish was to see her grandchildren again.

So my Dad and Mom sat my 3 older siblings and I down and told us the situation with aboba before asking if we'd give up 2 years of our life in America to go somewhere completely new.

my eldest brother and sister Deng and Abital couldn't deal with being in Africa and losing their teenage years being that they were halfway through high school.

My dad suspected they would say no and was never the type to force us into any decision so no hard feelings were held towards them.

Aboba reassured them that it was okay. she had nothing to forgive them for when they did nothing wrong she said.

She was always such an understanding person.

We said goodbye to our families and my dad sent me and my brother at 10 & 11 on a plane by ourselves and on our way we were.