Chapter 13

Eli comes down the stairs while I'm eating breakfast the next morning. Before I can even stand up and ask how he is, he holds up his hands, clearly gesturing me to back off on the questions.

"I'm fine, Ally. I don't need anyone babying me because of one little thing."

"To be fair, it wasn't exactly a little thing. You could've died." Eli looks up irritatedly.

"I know, Ally. And I don't want to talk about it. Hand me the milk, please." His tone is clipped. If I were him, I'd be a little more concerned about everything that'd happened to me.

And after gazing at my little brother for a couple of seconds, I realize he is concerned. He's as anxious as I was the night before, but he knows that dwelling will only make it worse. "Ally. Milk." I quickly grab the carton, and pass it to him. He sits across from me.

"Raleigh said to tell you she's not mad at you." I frown, wondering why she'd have a reason to be mad. I simply asked her how long she planned to live here.

"Alright..." I say uneasily.

"And she said you kissed Austin." My face goes red, I can feel it, and I nod slowly. But I don't look Eli in the eyes. "Do you love him, Ally?" It takes a lot of willpower to lift my gaze from my food.

"No," I whisper firmly. "It's more complicated than that, Eli. Just because you kiss someone doesn't mean you love them."

"Then why did you kiss him?" I rise from my chair, gripping my dish.

"I don't know, Eli! I just...I really don't have an answer for you, okay? I'm going to work," I huff. "Tell Raleigh I'm covering her shift for her this morning."

"You work a lot," he observes.

"And you talk a lot. Eat your breakfast, leave me alone." I briskly clean off my dishes and leave the kitchen, not sure what to think about anything.

~

I expected Austin to come by Sonic Boom, but not with Avery at his side. I'm helping a woman fill out the papers for a flute rental, when hear my name being called, and they're standing at the entrance. Avery looks very much the same, but her dark hair is contrasted by streaks of blonde, and her skin is a bit tanner. I smile brightly, because if I missed anyone almost as much as I missed Austin, it's Avery.

Hold on, I mouth to them, and quickly finish up with the woman. Once she's walked away, I dart around the counter and give Avery a hug. I almost hug Austin too, but Avery's already talking to me.

"Ally, I can't believe I haven't seen you for two years! Maybe more, God. You just kinda left, and then suddenly I get your letter and I was just like 'Oh my God she really is gone,' but now you're back! This is great!" I laugh lightly. "What's your number? You do have a phone, right?" I nod.

"I got one last month. I never use it though; I have no real reason to."

"Ally. I will be your real reason to," she vows, her expression solemn. It's hard to take her seriously, though. "We'll have to hang out another day when you aren't working. Austin told me you would be, but I just flew in yesterday, and I wanted to say hi!" I share an amused grin with Austin. She's ridiculous, but it's hard not to admire her; she being literally the most upbeat person I know.

"Well say hi then," I tell her, and she beams.

"Hi! Anyways, when are you off from work?"

"She's never off from work," Austin teases, and I roll my eyes.

"Only because I actually request as many hours as I can. I'm covering for Raleigh right now."

"That's your sister, right?" Avery asks, at the same time Austin questions,