Chapter 14

Alice's POV

I hate Hayden for leaving...TWICE! First the cadet night and now the volleyball  game?! Emma isn't even here so there's no one good at volleyball right now. And plus there only 6 players right now so we don't even get any rest. Although I hate her right now, I can't help but feel proud of her. I mean, she just drowned three weeks ago. That must have been traumatizing. Although she doesn't show it, I can tell that it had a big affect on her. 

The ball comes out of nowhere and hits the ground. I grunt as the opposing team gets another point. Come on Alice. Pull yourself together. At least until Hayden comes...

Hayden's POV

I quickly undress out of my dance outfit in the car. Luckily my contemporary was at 10 and hip hop at 11, but the distance between the school and where the competition was held at takes around an hour and a half by a car. I get ready in the car, not wasting time. I pull my hair in a ponytail and put on my jersey, volleyball shorts, kneepads and volleyball shoes. My parents gifted me with them as soon as they heard I was in the volleyball team but not in person. They decided that they were going to stay a couple more months in Hawaii. They are thinking about coming back around New Years. Great parents huh? 

I feel anxious as time passes by. It's already 1pm and we still have to go a bit more. We left for the game around 12pm but my driver has been pushing on the gas. A lot. 

Thankfully we arrive at the school around 1:20. I rush in and run towards the coach. He instantly smiles. He catches me up on everything that has happened as we wait until he can sub me in. As soon as one of the teams gets a point, Coach Aden signals time out. My teammates brighten up at my arrival, especially Alice. I get subbed into the game as Sammy gets subbed out. We are at 9 points while the other team is at 16 points. 7 point difference isn't that bad. 

Alice and I show great teamwork. We are in a very good rotation right as she is the setter. I nod as she nods to me. I spike with all my might and see that the ball touches the ground before anyone can react. Yes! My teammates pat me on the back and says something along the line of "good job". Bewildered I look around and see that there's a lot of people watching our game. I smile at the familiar faces; Ryan, Kiran, Kole, Cameron and most of all, Brandon. Feeling hyped, I focus back to the game. I have a good feeling about this.

Alice's POV

I'm so glad Hayden came back or else we would've lost. I couldn't care less but I'm happy I don't have to try to play with these idiotic morons with half a functioning brain. I roll my eyes for the hundredth time today. 

Hayden's POV

I let out a relieving sigh as we win the second set. We won 27 to 25. It was close one and I'm glad we won. Coach Aden gives us advices and instructions on what to do for the third set. This time a girl named Cassidy sits out and Sammy plays. The coach puts Sammy between Alice and I. The opposing team starts with a serve. 

The serve was an underhand which is easy to get. I didn't get to serve yet and there didn't seem to be anyone who served with the overhand yet. Or whenever someone did, it didn't go over the net, so I guess I'll give everyone a surprise. We get the first point and I'm the first server in my team. I take a deep breath and calm myself and when I feel focused, I throw the ball and hit it with my right hand, smashing down on the floor. Thankfully my nerves didn't eat me alive and the ball made it safely over. I sigh in relieve and smirk at the surprised faces. I continue to serve until they made it over the net to our side, close to Sammy. I run towards it, diving for it but it was too late. Oh well, at least we already had 5 points.