Chapter Nine

*Arthur's POV*

We ride back into Camelot happily, forgetting our worries for the time being. Some passersby give us strange looks, but we ignore them. I realize we've been gone for much longer than I thought; it's almost dark.
"Merlin," I look over at him as we dismount our horses and lead them back to the stables. "Do you want to spend the night with me?" I ask quietly when I get closer to him so no one else can hear.
Merlin smiles and nods. "I'll tell Gaius and be right there," he almost leans in for a kiss when he realizes we're in public and awkwardly leans back, walking towards his own chambers.
I sigh as I walk through the castle. What I'm doing is against the law. If I get caught, I could be banished by the people. Even worse, to punish me they would hurt Merlin.
I walk into my chambers and sit at the table, thinking. Am I rushing into our relationship? What if I'm making Merlin uncomfortable? What if-
"Arthur?" I look up to see Merlin smiling and closing the door behind him.
"Do you think I'm rushing into this?" I ask suddenly.
He tilts his head slightly to the side. "It's not even been a day, Arthur. You can't be rushing into things yet,"
I nod. "Just... tell me if I'm making you uncomfortable,"
"Yeah," he smiles. "The same with you."
I grin back and we walk to my bed. I like the idea of sleeping with Merlin. Not as in sex, but as in lying beside him and holding him close, listening to him breathe and feeling as if we're the only two people in the world.

*Merlin's POV*

I close my eyes, relaxed in Arthur's arms. I soon hear him fall asleep, his breaths long and quiet.
I try to sleep, but something's keeping me up. I have no idea what it is, I just have a weird feeling about something.
Maybe I shouldn't have left Gaius alone? No, that's not it. Someone finding out about my magic? No...
I get out of the bed as quietly and gently as I can, being sure to let Arthur sleep.
What's keeping me up? It's probably just an over reaction, as usual. I pace around the room quietly, trying to think. I sigh after a few minutes of this, not coming up with anything.
I decide to take a walk. Maybe some fresh air will help me think. I leave Arthur's chambers, avoiding the guards as swiftly as possible.
I suddenly bump into someone. "S-sorry, I was just-" I begin, but I'm cut off immediately.
"Hello, Emrys," an eerie voice whispers. I freeze.
"Who are you?" I ask, backing away slowly.
The figure emerges from the shadows to reveal Jason smiling wickedly. "I've waited a long time for this," he snarls.
"Jason? What are you doing?" I ask, completely confused.
Instead of a response, my head is knocked hard against the pillar behind me, causing everything to go fuzzy. Another blow makes me collapse on the ground, barely conscious.
After that, everything goes black.