Chapter Twelve

*Arthur's POV*

I open my eyes slowly to see treetops and the rays of the sun peeking through the canopy. I feel Merlin limp in my arms and my heart sinks. I draw a shaky breath before leaning closer to him, checking for a pulse.

I panic for a moment after hearing nothing, but realize there's still a very faint heartbeat. I shake him lightly to no response. He's not dead. It's okay. I'll get him back to Gaius and he'll be fine.

Did I fall asleep here? I must have. I look around to see my horse must have run off. I start to get up when I gasp in surprise at the burst of pain in my ankle. I look down to see it twisted horribly and the bone poking out slightly. I grit my teeth and attempt to get up again, groaning in pain but knowing I have to get Merlin back to Camelot soon.

I take a few steps before collapsing, the pain too much to bear. "Merlin?" I ask breathlessly. After a few moments of nothing, I kiss him lightly on the cheek. "Please wake up," I whimper. "I need you."

Merlin's eyes flicker just slightly and I smile widely. "I'm right here, you're gonna be fine," I promise him, holding his hand tightly. "You'll be alright soon."

"Arthur?" I look up to see my knights crowding in front of me, their faces all filled with concern and worry.

I sigh in relief as Gwaine and Percival rush over to us. "There's a sight for sore eyes," I comment as Gwaine lifts Merlin carefully from my arms.

"What happened?" Percival asks, putting an arm around me to help me walk to the horses.

"Merlin went missing, so I set out to find him and," I pause, taking a breath. "And a Druid was torturing him..."

"Where's the Druid?" Leon asks in alarm.

"I dunno, he must have left," I say, not taking my eyes off of Merlin as he's lifted onto Gwaine's horse. Percival helps me onto his own horse, putting my arms around him so I don't fall off.

We ride quickly back to Camelot. "How did you know where to find us?" I ask as we arrive to the gates.

"You and Merlin were gone overnight without telling anyone, and Gaius had told us you went in search for him earlier," Leon explains. "Where else could you be but the forest?"

I laugh weakly as we ride into the citadel, Gwaine quickly carrying Merlin up the stairs as soon as he dismounts his horse. "How badly hurt is Merlin?" Percival asks, following my gaze.

My expression darkens. "The knife that the Druid used to hurt him... it was enchanted. Merlin said he had to have special herbs to-" my sentence is cut off by a groan of pain as I accidentally put pressure on my bad ankle.

"Sire, let's get you to Gaius', then worry about the herbs."

I don't protest, Percival and Leon on both sides of me as we head towards the physician's chambers.

*Merlin's POV*

I open my eyes at the slightest to see Gwaine carrying me somewhere. He glances down and I see his expression is dark and worried.

"Don't speak, Merlin," he orders as he sees me awake.

I ignore him. "Where's Arthur?" I whisper weakly.

"You never do listen, do you?" he smiles slightly. "Arthur will be fine, just has a broken ankle, from the looks of it."

"Is he hurting?" I murmur in concern.

"Only because you're in pain," Gwaine informs me as we arrive in Gaius'. "By the way, I saw him kiss you to wake you up," the knight tells me, smirking.

"You must have been imagining things," I say as I'm lifted onto the patients' bed.

"It's alright, Merlin. I'm fine with it. Cute couple, you are," he winks.

I don't have the strength to respond, eyes closing involuntarily for the second time. I hear Gaius ordering Gwaine to get water and, faintly, Arthur's voice as he arrives.

"Is he alright?" is the first thing he says.

I open my eyes with all my strength to catch Arthur's eye. His face is filled with relief and I smile at him before blacking out.

I will, Arthur. I will be fine. I will fight for you. Only for you.