Chapter Fifteen

*Arthur's POV*

"Gwaine, where are we?" I ask, frustrated. We've been going around in circles for hours, not being able to find the cabin again.
"I don't know," my knight responds shamefully, glancing around the forest.
At this point, I would have normally said something like, "Don't put yourself down, it's a Druid we're after," but considering my mind is on Merlin dying and the constant pain of my ankle, I'm not really in the mood for pep talks.
"Well, we have to find the cabin," I say, teeth gritted.
Gwaine sighs and glances at me. "We will,"
"It's taken us hours to find nothing! Merlin could be-" I stop myself, the realization hitting me. He could already be dead, and we're just riding around aimlessly on horses. What if he died alone? What if-
"Sire, I'm sure he's still alive," the knight tries to assure me, but even his voice is doubtful.
I fight back tears as we ride slightly faster. I look to the right and see something move in the bushes. I silently alert Gwaine and he gets off his horse, shooting me a warning glance as if to tell me to stay.
I sigh, knowing my ankle would cause too much pain to walk on. I watch as Gwaine draws his sword slowly and walks quietly over to where the movement was.
Suddenly, the Druid leaps out of the bushes looking battered and tired. Anger flames up inside of me when I see him, remembering what he had done to Merlin. My Merlin.
I realize the Druid has a sword of his own, with intricate designs on its blade. He attempts a stab at Gwaine, who easily dodges it and slices his arm, causing him to cry out in pain and drop his sword to clutch his new wound.
Gwaine punches him in the face hard, effectively knocking him out. He kicks the Druid just to be sure and nods at me, picking the torturer up and bringing him to the horse.
"The cabin must be near," I say hopefully, trying to hide my envy that Gwaine can fight.
"I recognize that tree," he narrows his eyes, pointing to a tall, winding tree. "It was on the way to when we found you and Merlin at the cabin,"
"Then what are we waiting for?" I exclaim hurriedly, kicking my horse so she starts trotting past the tree.
Gwaine follows with the Druid tied to the back of his horse, still unconscious.
I glance around the forest anxiously, needing to find these herbs, and fast. "There!" Gwaine says suddenly, making me jump. He rides in front of me and I glare at him from behind as I catch up.
Soon enough, we reach the same cabin that I had found Merlin in. I feel myself relax as we arrive to a stop. The herbs are in there. Merlin is saved.
Gwaine tells me to stay put, and after a brief argument, I agree to sit and watch the Druid. I sigh, looking down ruefully at my ankle. The bandages cover it, but anyone can clearly see where the bone is poking out. I feel so useless with this injury, unable to do anything but watch as my knight does everything I would normally do.
After a few minutes, I get anxious and call out his name. "Gwaine?"
A couple moments later, Gwaine's head peeks out. His expression, which should be lighthearted and happy since we have the herbs, is dark and struck with shock.
"What is it? Are you alright?" I ask immediately, worried.
He swallows hard and avoids eye contact with me as he walks slowly over to the horses. I notice he has nothing to carry, no herbs.
"Where are they?" I say sternly, wanting answers.
"Sire," Gwaine starts, but his voice breaks. He clears his throat and starts again. "Sire, there is nothing inside the cabin."
"What?" I can't believe what I'm hearing.
"There are no herbs. We have no cure."