Chapter 7

Chapter 7     

     My right hand covered my left wrist the whole time. Each time I checked, it kept on glowing brighter and brighter. Even though the weather’s cold, I was feeling hot. I was not feeling very well, and I needed to lie down. The person sitting next to me noticed I wasn’t doing well, and she offered me to let her accompany me to go to the clinic. Politely, I told her no. She smiled and told me if I need to go badly, she’s there to help. I think her name’s Jenny. Her blonde hair fixed neatly with a pink hair band along with her apple green sweater. She has a pleasing personality. 

    Before we ended the class, Mrs. Flitz gave us homework. Everybody said, “Aww…” at the same time including Jenny which I find it amusing. She slumped down to her chair.

   “I hate it when teachers do that,” she muttered to herself. Then I realized she was talking to me because she mentioned my name after. “Don’t you find that annoying too, Carther?”

   “I guess,” I said silently. 

    “Do you still wanna go to the clinic?”

    “No,”

    Our conversation was interrupted when Mrs. Flitz told both of us to leave since only the two of us are left behind. My right hand ached because I didn’t remove it for an hour, afraid it might glow uncontrollably. As I pick up my books with my left hand and shove it into my bag, Jenny was eyeing me the whole time. 

    “Why won’t you remove your hand on your wrist?” she asked me curiously. “Is there something wrong with it? Are you injured?”

    “No,” I said honestly. I picked up my bag and slung it to one shoulder. “Fine, I’ll go to the clinic myself. Thanks for being concerned.”

    “I’ll come with you,” she insisted.

     I wanted to say no badly. I was about to make up some excuse when Kent got in the way.

    “Hey Jenny! The secretary told me to find you. She has something important to say. She’s waiting at the office,” he nodded towards the hallway.

     My body felt relieved and light now that Jenny’s gone. I needed time to relax myself. Suddenly, Kent held out his hand. I reached it, releasing my right hand from my wrist. I trust him, he’s definitely not a bad person to think that I’m a total freak show because my tattooed wrist is glowing. Then, I looked at my wrist, and I was surprised to find that the light’s gone. Was it gone since awhile ago or only the time when I touched Kent’s hand?

    “Still wanna go to the clinic?” he smiled.

      I shook my head no, fighting back the tears that are starting to form again. All the while I thought Kent was mad at me. I thought he didn’t want to talk to me again. Just by that thought, I felt that the whole world had turned black and white and everything can’t go right.

    “Next class?” he asked, breaking my thoughts.

    “Gym,” I answered, my voice cracked although we both know we belong to the same class. A teardrop fell to my cheek. He wiped it with his thumb. His warm hand is touching my cold face. I loved the feeling that I closed my eyes. He dropped his thumb then exchanged it into his arm to my shoulder. It seems like I’ve just experienced a déjà vu right now. I know it happened, but I forgot when. The next thing I know, we walked together towards our gym.

    “Feeling better?” he asked with a gentle, concerned voice. 

     I nodded. 

    “See you in there! Go meet Bree and get changed! Will wait for you after. We’ll have lunch together, alright?”