Chapter 4

Chapter 4            

             The whole class was interrupted by his presence. Professor Goode immediately came to greet him. I can see the professor was caught off guard by this. Mr. Gates had a few minute chat with the professor and left the classroom but stayed outside the door. My guess, he was waiting for something to happen.

            “Class, that was Mr. Richard Gates. He is looking for scholars to go study in London, England. And I want each one of you to participate in the discussion, and I want all of you to be in your best behavior if you want to have a scholarship,” warned the professor to us. Students began murmuring about Kent, suspecting that this guy must be related to him. Some seem not to care about it since they still kept on giggling and whispering to each other. Some are even sleeping. Bree and I exchanged looks. Both of us knew that I’ve always wanted to have a scholarship abroad. 

              Professor Goode opened the door for Mr. Gates and provided him an armchair. Then, he continued with the discussion. This time, he taught the discussion nervously. I snuck a look at Mr. Gates. He took out his pen from the pocket of his coat and began grading us.

             “Hey, do you know that old guy? You seem to look at him so intently,” Zach nudged his elbow to mine this time.

             “Yeah,” I whispered softly to him, but my eyes are still glued on the board, pretending to listen attentively.

             “Hey, do you really want to get that scholarship that badly?” he asked one more time. I can tell he’s now pouting. This time, I looked at him. 

            “Yes,” I say. “So would you please stop disturbing me and listen to the discussion.”

             He said nothing and looked away from me. His gaze is to the blackboard, but his heart is not with him. During the discussion, I allowed myself to participate. On the other hand, Zach was also competing with me, but he never spoke a single word to me the whole time. Each time after I recite, I always make sure to look at Mr. Gates if he’s grading me.  We ended the discussion softly and at the right time. Everybody scooted out of their seats and hurriedly go to the cafeteria. The only students left inside the classroom were Zach, Bree, and I. Zach gave me the silent treatment. After he shoved his things back to his bag, he went out of the classroom leaving both Bree and me. We went out of the classroom and waited for Professor Goode and Mr. Gates’s conversation to end. 

              “Do you really want to wait?” Bree asked me. “I really want to go to the cafeteria because I don’t want the boys to wait for their appetizer.”

              “Yes, I still want to wait,” I say. “If you really want to go to the cafeteria, I’m not stopping you. Go get ‘em! Don’t wanna keep them waiting for you,” I chuckle.

              “You know what, you’re making me feel guilty about this. It’s not fair to just leave you alone here and let you suffer to wait for a life-sucking conversation to end,”

               “It’s fine, Bree. Go. I’m going to be fine. Besides, I’m not that hungry.”

               “Okay, don’t make me regret this. See you at the cafeteria?”

                “Yeah sure, just make sure you’re visible!” I call out to her as she jogs herself towards the cafeteria, with her long, silky, blonde hair flowing out as she ran. “Oh and save me a seat!” But she’s already gone like a flash of a lightning. When I turned around, I saw Mr. Gates standing in front of me.

                “Hello Mr. Gates, never thought we’d meet here again,” I greeted him cheerfully. “How are you feeling?”

               “I’m doing well now, Carther, it’s all thanks to you,” he says politely.