Chapter 5

Chapter 5    

      We arrived safely at my house and again, I slept in Kent’s car. He woke me up gently by stroking my hair. Erase waking me up gently, I meant he surprised me. “We’re here, princess.”

     I blushed immediately, “I’m not a princess.”

    “Queen, then,”

    “Also not a queen,” I fought back.

   “You didn’t let me finish,” he objected. “You’re the queen of my world.” He winked.

   “Your world must be a total mess,”

   “Since the day I first met you,”

   “Was that an insult?”

   “You think,”

     I didn’t answer.

    “Of course not, kiddo!” he shuffled my hair. Well, see ya around!” he bids goodbye.

    “Sure,” I told him, then I walked to my porch and watched him leave. He waved goodbye and I also did the same. When I slowly opened the door of my house, the hall was quiet but the kitchen was noisy.

    “Mom? I’m home!” I called out.

    “Good, you’re here!” she says hurriedly, and wipes off her sweat on her forehead. She’s dressed in a floral designed kitchen apron and a baby blue bandana tied around her head. She looks like a cute maid.

   “You look so cute!” I say out loud.

   “Wow, those are words I’ve never heard you say before, what did you do to Carther Swift?” she half joked. “Did something interesting happen that you want to share?”

   This time, I know I’ve changed since I expressed all I’ve been feeling to Kent, making me say them out loud, so now I don’t feel any burdens inside me. I fell silent.

   Mom studied my expression but gave up quickly, “Never mind, let’s just hurry up! The guests might arrive any minute now.”

    I was so thankful she didn’t ask further because I was still feeling uneasy telling her about someone I like. Someone that made me feel happy. Someone that would care for me. Someone that I could trust. Someone that made me feel…me. 

    I helped set the table and cooked some more presentable dishes since Mom prepared ordinary ones. “Honey, thanks for the help! Now, let’s go change!”

    Both of us went upstairs and went inside our respective rooms. At first, I wasn’t sure what I will be wearing because I don’t know what kind of guests we’re having. Are they rich? Are they sporty? Are they business-minded persons? I noticed that my room was tidied up by my mom. My bed was neatly fixed; drawers and my study table were shining and sparkling. Windows are closed and shiny beside my bed. Sweet smell of fruits filled my room; it must be the air freshener. I showered quickly and blow dried my hair. Before I threw my clothes in the hamper, I took out my cellphone and the envelope from my pocket and left it on my study table. Then, I used my curlers to enhance the curls on my hair. I put on a thin black hair band and let my dark brown curls fall down to their places. To play safe, I put on a semi-sequined white t-shirt and a hanging dark green leather jacket with black denims and my dark blue Converse. Now, I’m ready.

      My mom was already downstairs when I opened my bedroom door. She was dressed in a pink sleeve cocktail dress. At the back of my mind, the guests might be from a rich class. I should’ve worn my short print dress. The living room is noisy. The guests have arrived. Slowly creeping down from the staircase, I heard familiar voices. My footsteps are getting faster and louder from the stairs only to find out our guests were Aunt Abby and Zach!