Chapter 1: The New Guy

•

Another year of high school. I was worried. Not just for me, but for my best friend Elena and her family. So many thoughts swirled in my head as I got ready for school. Would Elena even show? It feels like yesterday I was at Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert's funeral. I remember holding Elena's trembling hand during the whole ceremony and giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. It was the hardest for her when we watched as both coffins were being lowered into the ground.

Elena and I have always had a tight friendship. Our friendship is stronger than any of her relationships with anyone else. Even Matt, which probably is why she ultimately called things off with him. He couldn't understand what was going on in her head and didn't know how to comfort her. The blue-eyed boy couldn't give her what she needed. As saddening as it was, it is probably for the best.

All of this is the reason why I had to make sure Bonnie would drive me to school. She always picks Elena up on the way and I needed to make sure Elena would be okay and that I could be there to support her if she needed it. Bonnie didn't mind because she understood my concern because she felt the same.

I know, what you're probably thinking, "Elena isn't a wounded bird." To that I agree, Elena is a strong person in general but she is also my best friend. On top of that, like everyone else in Mystic Falls, she is also human. It's human to not be strong through certain circumstances. Especially, when faced with the death of your parents at such a young age.

"Bye Ander! I'm getting a ride to school from Bonnie," I called out to my brother and received a nod from him as I headed out the door.

As soon as I closed the front door I adjusted my worn out backpack as I waited for Bonnie to come. I looked over my outfit as a whole, one last time. According to my friend Caroline it was crucial to look good on the first day.

Along with Elena, I think Ander was having a hard time with the death of Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert. They were like family to Ander and I. Our dad works a lot so when we were little we would always sleep over at their house. In a way, they were our second parents. Ander and I never knew our mother. Dad never really talked about her and whenever she was brought up something in him would snap.

"Hey Bonbon!" I cheerfully exclaimed as I got into Bonnie's car. Bonnie smiled even though I could tell she was slightly annoyed by my nickname for her.

"Hey Arina. Ready for another year of school?" Bonnie asked as I buckled my seatbelt.

"I don't think I'd ever be ready," I said jokingly as she turned on the radio and drove away from my house.