Chapter 15: The Talisman

I drudged all the way to history class and sunk into my seat. Remembering all that had happened the other night was draining. All of the secrecy was getting on my nerves. To make matters worse, I felt like couldn't trust Elena, Damon, and Stefan.

I watched as Bonnie rushed into the classroom, just ahead of our new history teacher. She looked a bit frazzled as she sat down next to me.

"Good Morning everyone. Alrighty," My new history teacher chirped as he entered the classroom, right after the final bell rang.

The tall brunet, began to write his name on the chalkboard as I glanced at Bonnie and noticed that she still looked frazzled. "You okay?" I mouthed to her and she did a small shrug. I frowned and turned my attention back at the new teacher, not wanting to get on his bad side.

The new teacher pointed at his name on the chalkboard and read it out loud, "Alaric Saltzman. It's a mouthful, I know. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Saltzman is of German origins. My family emigrated here in 1755 to Texas. I, however, was born and raised in Boston." He paused briefly before continuing his introduction.

"Now the name Alaric belongs to a very dead great-grandfather I will never be able to thank enough. You'll probably want to pronounce 'Alaric' but it's 'Alaric,' okay? So, you can call me Ric. I'm your new history teacher." My history teacher explained with a pleasant smile.

He seemed witty and nice. I had a good feeling about him. Mr. Saltzman seemed like he genuinely was passionate about his job.

When lunch time came around, Elena, Bonnie, and I met up at a vacant table outside. I tried to sit as far away from Elena as possible. It still felt like she was hiding something from me.

As soon as we all started to eat lunch, Bonnie began to explain her crazy dreams to us.

"...And then, I ended up at the remains of the old Fell's church before I woke up back in the woods," Bonnie informed us seriously.

"And you always see your ancestor Emily? The one that Grams told you about?" I inquired, leaning closer to her.

Bonnie nodded as she spoke out gravely, "Mhm. Do you guys believe in ghosts?"

"Two weeks ago I'd say no, but now-" Elena murmured.

"I think I'm being haunted," Bonnie blurted out, cutting off Elena. I stared at Bonnie with worry and confusion.

"I don't get it. Why Emily? Why her out of all of your ancestors?" I asked, before taking a bite out of my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"Grams said she was a powerful witch back in the Civil War days, and that this medallion was hers. A witch's talisman," Bonnie elaborated, grabbing a beautiful medallion necklace and showing it to Elena and I. In the center was a prominent coppery-orange Amber crystal.

"And it all started when you got the necklace?" I questioned, putting two and two together.

"I think she's using it to communicate with me," Bonnie admitted, slightly shrugging.

"Okay, what does Grams say about it?" Elena jumped back into the conversation as I continued to eat my sandwich.

"I can't call her. She's gonna tell me to embrace it. I don't want to embrace it, I want it to stop," Bonnie whined out sorrowfully. I patted her shoulder in an attempt to offer her comfort. After her comment the three of us ate the rest of our lunch in silence.

When school was over, Bonnie and I headed to our cars together. During lunch she told me that there was a spare parking spot next to mine, so she took it this morning.