chapter 2: first night

Hey guys! Still here?

Great!

I just couldn't wait to update!

So just wanted you to know, there WILL be a few different parts now, *** will separate them. For example, one for the careers and one for Zane and Kelvin and one for Joel and Chancey, and so on... but PLEASE read them all so they make sense. BTW all the parts take place at the same time, and some people might not be featured, but they will in a future chapter. It just means that their night was typical (as typical as THG that is) but hopefully you understand :)

---

"Zane, stop. I can't run anymore." Kelvin put his hands onto his knees, panting. They were already very far into the woods that it was impossible for anyone to be this far. They were first in there anyways.

"This is The Hunger Games, Kelvin. Ya stop running, and you're dead!" Zane complained. Kelvin fell down on the ground, groaning.

"Then I guess I'm dead," said Kelvin. 

"Maybe we should just find a source of water, then. To wash off. I'm pretty sure there's one around here, anyways, we are on an island."

"No, I can't. Can't we just stay here for a little longer? Like a few more hours?" asked Kelvin, still sweating and panting from running. On contrast, Zane shows no sign of exhaustion. 

He sighed. "Fine, just a little longer. But then we leave, got it?" Kelvin nodded. "Good." 

As Kelvin drifted off to sleep, Zane stared up at the sky. Starting to dim, he noticed. They must have put them out later than normal, or they ran much more than Zane knew. He felt his hands, and how empty they felt now that he knew that he missed his chance to get something that would help him survive. He was upset, yet knew that running away helped him survive. His mentor taught him and Amethyst many things, and by what he thought, she seemed to have followed them as well as he did.

Kelvin's head fell down the tree he was leaning up against, almost touching Zane's shoulder. He felt like a brother to Zane, even if he barely knew him, like he had known him his whole life. Zane partly wanted to move up the tree, but he stayed with Kelvin to make sure that he didn't get shot in his sleep. So he sat there till the sun set, watching the fallen tributes pop up onto the sky. He knew it was more than a few hours of sleeping, but he didn't want to wake his friend. 

So he waited.

***

"Should we go out there?" Jacob asked Cole and Jess. "To get the weapons?"

"Na, let them have the satisfaction for one more night," Cole answered. "they deserve it."

Skya twitched uncomfortably. She didn't like staying with Cole and Jess, who obviously had pride issues, but didn't want to leave Diandra. She sat next to her, and tried to talk to he, but Diandra never said anything.

"Are you sure?" Jess asked. "We could just use them; they'd want us to. Kay-Jen would."

"Would you just shut up about Kay-Jen already?" asked Cole.

"Well excuse me for caring about someone else! Five deserved what she got." Jess responded angrily. She had high hopes for him, as she did then for Cole, and was quite fond of both of them.

"Kay-Jen killed her first," Skya cut in.

"Skya," Diandra whispered, slightly slapping her arm.

"It's true, though," said Jacob. "just proves how much his training did for him."