chapter 5: second night (part one)

Amethyst took the boys to her camp. They marveled in the stunning beauty of the way the flowers were organized, the way that the game makers set it up so that it looked even more lovely than any district. 

"Where did you find this?" Kelvin asked her. Amethyst took hold of a rope and tightened it.

"I actually don't know," She said. She kept adjusting the trap.

"What is that?" 

Amethyst smiled. She looked at him. "A trap I made. Can catch animals, or tributes. So they don't invade us."

"Us?" asked Zane, suspicious.

"Well, I did save your life, the least we can do is be allies." Zane and Kelvin said nothing.

As the sun dimmed down, Zane took two sticks and rubbed them together. Amethyst slapped his hand away, but he kept rubbing them anyway. "It'll only be a small fire, nobody will spot us." She put her hand back down as Zane created a small flame, like he said, and set it down on the ground. Kelvin rubbed his hands together near it, trying to stop shivering. Amethyst left the fire and went back to her tree, picking up a leaf and when she came back, handing it to Kelvin.

"What's this?" Kelvin asked, holding it between his hands.

"Drink up," She said, ignoring his question. Kelvin did, sighing out with relief as he did.

"You found water?" Zane asked. "Clean, drinkable water?"

"Well, not exactly," said Amethyst. "just something I had made to help with the cold."

"Have anymore?" asked Zane, not trying to sound desperate, even though he was. He wasn't very cold, but was really thirsty.

"A little. You cold?"

"A little," He echoed. She smiled, and handed him the rest of the drink. Zane drank it sparingly, his throat feeling soothed as it poured down his throat. Amazingly, he felt better. Much better, like he could run miles. And the taste wasn't half bad either. "Where'd you get this?"

"Well, I crushed up some berries and flower petals and made that juice."

"Seriously, Amethyst, you're a goddess," Kelvin joked, still sipping on his drink. Amethyst's smile widened as he said it, and even blushed a little.

Soon, the Panem anthem played. They turned around to watch the sky, and saw two faces light up in the sky, the first being Jacob, the boy from District 1, and then the boy from District 6.

"All this time," Kelvin started. "I never knew his name, and he sacrificed himself." 

***

"Skya? Diandra?" Jess asked, holding a limping Cole at her side. Skya turned from the cornucopia and went outside it, staring at Jess.

"What-" She started.

"Help me," Jess managed.

Diandra's head peeked out from inside, her auburn hair barely visible. Skya got hold of Cole's other side, helping him into the cornucopia. Jess laid him down on the ground, holding the arrow Amethyst used in her hand.

"Stringharp," She told them. She took the small pedal wrapped around the tip to show them. "a deadly flower. Cole's lucky to still be alive."

Cole sat, wincing. "Oh that's comforting. Almost getting killed by a fifteen year old girl."

Skya scowled.