Chapter 6

The next morning I awoke as usual, but before I could start dressing for my training and history lessons with Blithe and Arista, a maid came in and informed me that the King wanted me to attend a council meeting. The young girl didn’t give me any more information, but I figured my father would tell me more at breakfast.

After she left, I dressed in a black pencil skirt, a plain light green blouse with a black blazer for the occasion. Instead of leaving my hair down in waves, I quickly pulled my hair back into a bun, lined my eyes with brown eye liner and applied mascara. Once my shoes were on, I went to breakfast like every morning.

Xavior sat among us, dressed in a tailored Captain’s uniform while Blithe was also dressed in similar attire, which was a lot different from his plain t-shirt and jeans that I was used to seeing him in.

“It is a pleasant change to see you out of your sweatpants and tank-top,” the King commented, in a light tone as I sat next to him at the table.

“It feels nice as well, father,” I replied smiling as watched the kitchen staff bring in plates of food. “I was surprised to hear that you wanted me to attend the council meeting with you,” I began as a plate of eggs, toast and hash browns were set in front of me. “I thought I would be observing the meetings later in my lessons.”

“Today is an exception,” he answered. “As you are well aware, there has been a long lasting rivalry between the Elementals and the Demon Kingdom.” He looked at me after taking a bite of his toast and I nodded, unable to speak with food in my mouth. After he swallowed and took a sip of his coffee he continued. “You might also be aware that there is a new Demon King.” I nodded again. “Our goal is to negotiate and arrange a treaty for our two kingdoms. We hope that the young King Damien will see reason and help us end this pointless war. So far, we haven’t been able to gain his attention to meet with us. We were hoping that you would catch it for us.”

“And how am I to do that?” I asked, taking a drink of my orange juice.

“Simply request an audience with him over the phone.” The King said it as if it was the easiest thing in the world, but how is he so sure that King Damien would want to talk to me. I’m just another elemental and enemy. How could I make a difference to him?

“How are you certain that it would work?” I asked. “I am still his enemy.”

A large smile appeared and I looked over to Xavior and Blithe with similar looks.

Arista spoke for them. “King Damien is a little attached to the mortal world and father thinks that he will give you a chance because you just came from there.” Her tone suggested that she was annoyed and I positive that if it was the two of us, she would’ve rolled her eyes.

The king nodded his head. “Our spy informed us that he’s very intrigued by you.”

I didn’t like the idea of being used like a tool, but I guess it was something a princess had to do for her kingdom from time to time. I guess it was a lot better than forcing me into an arranged marriage that I had read about. Not to mention, I hated this war from the first moment Arista had taught the subject.

Arista had explained that was all because two kings, one Elemental and one Demon, fell in love with the same woman. The two kings had been so blind for their love for her that they declared war on each other. The woman had died in a middle of a battle and each kingdom blamed each other for her death.

I didn’t care about how it started, but more of the fact that it was time for it to end. I wasn’t a large part of this war, at least not yet, but I also didn’t want to be. I wanted it be done and over with by the time that I took the throne and I was willing to attract the Demon King’s attention to make that happen.