|| Chapter Twenty Three ||

We brought Manik home that day and the doctor will check on him, two times everyday. Right after coming home, Mukthi took his phone and computer away and I couldn't be any more happier about that. He was on the bed taking rest, cribbing and whining about how controlling everyone is around him. Finally Manik Malhotra gets a taste of his own bitter medicine!

I got a mini-heart attack on coming into our bedroom after eating my dinner with everyone. Tara was sitting on Manik, right below his wound; and with all her focus, she was drawing something on the cast on his hand with sketch pens.

"Tara, climb down. What are you doing?"  I yell at her.

He signals that it's fine. "Tara is the only one that cares about me. Everybody else is just selfish."  He says ignoring me. I cannot stop smiling.

"Aww. Manik is pouting. How cute!"  I say and go sit beside them.

"Can I please have my phone back!"  He asks me angrily.

"It's your friend who confiscated your gadgets. Ask her."  I snap at him.

His voice suddenly becomes all mellow and buttery "Nandini, you are so smart right. You have an answer for everything, why can't you go and get my phone from her. I have very important things to take care of yaar. Why don't you people understand?"

"What are you doing?"  Nikki marches in and asks Tara.

"Making a wish for daddy."  Tara replies calmly.

"Why do you draw on everything?"  He asks her in a disapproving tone.

"I don't draw on everything."  She retorts.

"Yes, you do."

"No, I don't."

"DO TOO!"

"DO NOT!"

"Quiet you two. Let papa rest. It is bed time. Chalo, go to bed."

"I want to sleep with papa."  Nikki demands.

"Me too."  Tara's face immediately lights up.

"Maybe tomorrow. Papa needs rest. He needs to become healthy right?"  I try to convince them.

But who is going to convince my stubborn husband? "I want to stay with my kids. I don't want anybody else."  Manik announces, looking angrily at Mukthi, who just entered the room.

Mukthi just smiles "Go to bed early. I will give you back your things tomorrow. Ok?"

"Mukthi yaar, I have been sleeping all day. I am bored."  he cribs.

"If you are bored, we will entertain you. Talk to us. We can watch a movie. Your kids are here. I am sure they want to spend some time with you."  Mukthi tries to put some sense into him.

"Mukthi? No need for that. Manik will sleep. It's late anyways. Right Manik?"  I look at him threateningly.

He has the whole house going after him and he is just sulking! After chatting for a bit, Mukthi leaves and, I get my little brats ready for bed, they are sleeping beside Manik and I was sitting beside them reading a story. They slip into a deep sleep quickly. Manik was unusually quiet thinking about something.