5 - Jeopardizing Situation

The 'locals' was a good 10-minute ride from the fork we came to earlier. I glanced at the window and noted the same eerie sensation the almost desolate set of shops projected. Someone new to the place would've mistaken it for an abandoned array of buildings. Save for its decent-looking signages and the clean glass doors, the buildings made up a place fit for horror movie filmings.

"What is this place?" The dirty-blonde girl questioned, her neck craned to check the scenery provided by the glass behind me.

"Call it a one-stop shop," Philip responded.

"What are we doing here?" Elena added, an eyebrow raised. I put up a passive expression to mask my vigilant gaze at her, crossing my arms and glancing at Philip.

Their casual approach with Philip and I seems questionable, but in a way I couldn't describe. By now it's safe to assume that Elena Rottmayer is the one with the sharpest senses--with somehow a keen sense of memory and a habit of trying to figure out more than what meets the eye. I couldn't ignore the other 3 though, especially the dirty-blonde girl. She hasn't made herself known yet. Then there's Delthea Billfort, who has suddenly fallen silent since we embarked for the headquarters. Philip seems to be oblivious of this, with the way he keeps answering their questions. If this keeps going on, we might end up in a difficult situation.

Trying to jump in and be as friendly as Philip in aims of delving deeper into their characters would only arise curiosity in me. They've probably observed and concluded that I'm not much of a talker. I'm just going to have to trust Philip to somehow find a way with his words and help me read better what these girls are thinking.

I looked simultaneously at Philip and the girls, my eyes darting for a while to the handcuffs around their wrists, noting the discomfort they should already be experiencing with their arms on their back for the whole ride.

The van slowed down into a stop, and Philip lightly slammed his laptop close, setting it aside before he turned to Billfort, who was seated right beside him. He angled his head to look at the driver's direction. "What's the plan?"

Katelyn turned to our direction, her lips pursing as she gives the girls a glance. I turned to face her just in time for her to glance my way.

"Each of us will take one of them," She uttered, nodding at the girls' direction. "Undo their handcuffs. We wouldn't want the shopkeepers causing us trouble."

"Well you girls need to be really as behaved as  possible," Philip muttered as he undoes Billfort's handcuffs.

Reaching for my own set of keys, I gave the girls a glance, noticing their empty expressions--save for Tiffany Banks, who kept a look of excitement on. I'm beginning to think all of this is a field trip for her--with us being school guards playing like mercenaries.

I leaned forward, reaching for the cuffs behind Elena Rottmayer. Her arms appeared pretty flexible with the way she raised her arms closer, and I kept a disinterested look on as I uncuffed her. With the proximity I was able to inhale a scent of her--she smelled like jasmine.

The moment she was uncuffed, she pulled her hands back, feeling the mark of the handcuffs with her fingers.

"Don't rub it harshly," I muttered. "It's going to scar if you do."

She glanced up at me with her sharp stare. "I know."

I kept my deadpan expression on, watching as she turns to the door's direction. I glanced away from her and to Billfort, who let Rottmayer pass first. She gave me a quick glance before turning away and bending down to follow Rottmayer.