18 - Thank You, Philip

I resisted the fear that threatened to creep up on me as I quickly stood up from the bed and rushed towards the direction of the door. Planks of wood covered the window beside it, but I managed to peep through the space between 2 boards that were neatly nailed against the window sill. Darkness enveloped my vision through the hole, but my eyes were quick to adjust.

I half-expected figures in black to already be all over the lawn, but the whole place remained empty. A mound of soil by the edge of the lawn told me which mine blew up, but it never gave out a clue unto who triggered it and where he could be. I scanned the entire lawn as far as the space between the planks allowed me, but there were no obvious signs of anyone. They could be hidden behind the trees a few yards away from the fences, but I couldn't tell from where I was standing, not with how dark it is already.

I knew I expected them to find this place sooner than later, but I still found myself cursing as I rested my head against my fist on the wall, closing my eyes as I forced myself to think. Before a second could pass though, I snapped away from the window and turned to face Thea, who was already standing behind me, the look of alarm on her face probably reflecting mine.

"How many are there?"

I walked towards the candles by the door and pressed the small flames down the pool of melted wax around it, darkness slowly enveloping the part of the shack by the door. "I can't tell. No one's by the lawn."

I didn't know why but I was able to feel Thea's confusion even though I was busy pressing another flame down the hot melted wax. "What? Then who triggered the mine?"

I turned back to her, the increased darkness shadowing her face. "I couldn't see, but they could be by the trees. How they triggered it, I have no idea."

Her lips moved, but no words came out. I didn't stand by her and waited for her to form a coherent sentence as I rushed to the direction of the table, my hands swiftly shoving the remaining things on the table back to the bag.

The need to leave was urgent. Though I am still not sure if someone's already out there, the explosion should be enough to lure them here--if they weren't the ones who triggered it, that is. Although a huge part of me knew it was highly likely for them to cause it. We could never hide from them this long. Underestimating the organization's agents is dangerous.

We need to leave.

Thea didn't need to be told for as soon as I had slinged the backpack on my back, I turned to her direction to see her hand the M4A1 to me, the one we looted from the man she shot in the neck on our way here. Her expression was firm and bold, but I couldn't ignore the fear that lingered in her eyes.

I stared back at her and reached for the gun. As soon as I did, she quickly stepped closer and snaked her arms around my neck, stepping away from me a second after. I didn't understand what she just did until I looked down at my chest and saw her necklace with the blue pendant resting against my shirt.

"Keep that safe for me," A smile I didn't know she'd be able to pull off in the middle of a situation like this reached my eyes. "You have to return that to me as soon as we get out of the city."

I couldn't explain the feeling that washed through me as I read the silent question she was asking through her eyes. Don't die. I plan on keeping her safe and alive, even if that means sacrificing myself. Still, her eyes pleaded for only one answer, and I know I have to give it to her, even though there is a chance for it not to happen.

"I will," I nodded and reached for her face to cup her cheek. I didn't know if she was able to read the uncertainty in my eyes, but she chose to answer me with a nod.