11 - Interrogation

11 - Interrogation

Her words didn't make any sense at all.

You are Delthea Billfort, the only child of business magnate Henry Billfort. You possess a rebellious nature during your teenage years, so your father sent you to a therapeutic school for the troubled youth that he owned himself, located in the estate your family lived in before moving out to the city.

I stopped myself from conveying my own thoughts. I only know her by the brief description the organization gave us, enough for us to get a grip of the individuals we are to take as hostages. It was a question even a stanger to her like me could answer, but my own resolve stopped me.

The quivering of her lips she subtly tried to tone down didn't go unnoticed by my eyes. The reflected image of the candle's flames in her eyes danced even more as her orbs were slowly being sheathed with liquid, welling up by the passing seconds and threatening to spill from her lids. Her hard expression contrasted her expressive eyes though, and a part of me thought that she's trying to keep it together.

I didn't let the doubt cross my features. I kept my knife pressed against her neck as I dealt with an inner debate. With almost everyone I've known for a long time and I've trusted already suddenly turning on me, my already frail confidence of giving out my trust is wounded badly, and I couldn't allow anyone fooling me anymore.

"I can't force you to believe me," She suddenly spoke after a while, and for a second the fragile part of her faded, her strong demeanor once more surfacing. "But it's the truth."

"You're not making any sense," I tried to keep the confusion from my voice, but the cluelessness was hard to conceal.

"My memories are only for the past 2 weeks," She declared, her gulp slightly dislodging the knife pressed against her neck. "No matter how I try, I can't remember anything further than that."

My eyebrows met. Not one from the organization mentioned about her having amnesia or even being involved in a major accident at that. "And what makes you think I believe you?"

She glared at me with the same death look, rolling her eyes heavenwards. "Then you could at least try to listen."

I raised a brow. "Your actions for the past few minutes just exemplifies my suspicion, and I have no time to deal with a distraction of an enemy's weapon because I have a plan to cook up."

"Either you kill me right now, or you listen," She reiterated, her eyes glancing at my arm in front of her. "And it'd be better if you'd let me sit and aim a gun at me."

Against the most part of me, I let her sit on a wooden chair and cuffed her hands. I sat on the edge of the bed, facing her and pulling her chair close to me so that my feet locked hers against the foot of the chair. With a gun on my hand, I leaned forward, studying her features as I kept mine impassive.

"I know what you're doing."

I raised a brow, not bothering to say anything. The cold wind outside pierced through the small spaces between the pieces of wooden planks making up the walls. For a moment I noticed her shiver, but she readjusted her position and pretended like she didn't care.

"You're engaging with me in such a close distance for a purpose" She uttered, her green eyes staring scornfully at mine. "You're trying to intimidate me, trying to silently declare that you have the upper hand."

"I don't think I need to," I replied, and the clenching of her jaw almost, almost made me smirk. "I wanted to see what you'd look like when you're lying."

She heaved out a sigh before slumping against the chair, increasing the distance between us. Still, she was close enough for me to see a small round scar above her right eyebrow, the size of a small button.