15 - The Girl With The Green Scar

Transport the subject back to the nearest headquarters ASAP.

Affirmative. What about the mole?

Make sure Harley eliminates her. Include other nuisance.

Aye.

"Who the hell's Harley?" Was the first question that Billfort blurted out, her eyebrows crossed as she stares at the conversation I took the liberty of writing on a piece of paper.

"Could be Alice Gladstone," I replied, eyes narrowed at the codename I only noticed now. "She was with Philip after all."

"I couldn't believe she'd be involved into this," Billfort shook her head, a scoff leaving her mouth. "To think she just transferred barely a week ago. I should've known she'd be trouble."

I turned to her, my attention caught by her words. "You mean to say she's a new student?"

She nodded. "Yes. She moved in a week after I lost my memory. She only stood out now that she was one of the girls kidnapped with me."

I turned away from her. To think they would send out an asset weeks before the target date. The organization had planned this thoroughly, they surely were not underestimating us. But now that it seems Harley is Gladstone, it would perfectly make sense since Philip worked with her.

I glanced back at the paper Billfort was holding, my eyes trying to see through the meaning of the words. It wasn't a lengthy conversation, but it was enough to give out something.

Subject. Mole. Harley.

"Who's the subject?" Billfort voiced out my thought, and I glanced at the words once more.

Katelyn knew something the organization wouldn't allow to be leaked out. She didn't surrender right away and tried pledging her silence over the matter, she even shared how much money she'd earn once other organizations get their hands on such information. There is no denying that she's the mole Mallory Davids was referring to.

That leaves only the subject.

I stopped, eyes concentrated on the only word I still haven't figured out.

Subject, not subjects. There's only one?

Katelyn could be right. The girls were merely bait and collateral damage. If it wasn't all of them, it could only be just one of them. Someone of importance to the organization.

As if on cue, the box on my pocket made itself felt as I adjust on the bed, the fabric of my jeans tightening and straining around the sharp edges of the container. I remembered how Rottmayer threw the box to me, how she then left Billfort to my protection and sacrificed herself.

Turning my eyes from the paper on Billfort's lap to Billfort herself, I recalled the scar on her back. I recalled the chip and the possibility that it could be hers. Billfort looked back at me with her eyebrows crossed, her expression puzzled.

"What's wrong?"

"You're the subject," I uttered, my eyes closing in on her emerald eyes that shook with confusion.

"What?"

I turned away from her. "Gladstone is Philip's associate. Banks," I stopped, slamming a palm against my forehead. "We don't even know where Banks is."

"Now that you mentioned it," Billfort added with a thoughtful look. "She wasn't around when we left. Even when we took down your friend, she was already out of sight."