Stars

Darren dumped the bucket of water on the campfire, watching the flames turn to smoke. Ethan had already gone to his tent to go to sleep. I stayed up longer with Darren, letting the warmth from the fire take away the bite from the cold that was making its way to us. Darren wasn't kidding when he said it would be cold at night.

"Are you tired yet?"

I shook my head.

He got to his feet and nodded his head in the direction of the tent. "Follow me."

I followed him as he went to the tent. He grabbed our sleeping bags and draped them over his arm. I was confused about what he was doing. Wouldn't we need the sleeping bags to sleep?

He walked to the truck and lowered the tailgate so the truck was easier to access. He tossed the sleeping bags onto the bed before he turned to look at me. "Turn around and jump up so you're sitting on the tailgate."

I didn't understand his instructions but I was afraid of getting yelled at so I figured I'd try my best. I turned like he said and jumped. Sure enough, I was able to pull myself up so I was sitting with my head a little closer to his.

He smiled and then copied my motion. He swiveled around and grabbed the sleeping bags. He separated them then laid them out side by side. "How do you feel about sleeping here tonight?"

I raised my eyebrows. I didn't think sleeping in a car was allowed. Would we get in trouble doing that?

"If you get cold, I can get another blanket from the tent. I brought an extra in case we needed it."

I crawled over to the sleeping bag and kicked my shoes off before I got under the top layer. I was just getting comfortable when I shot up, eyes wide. "I left Ted in the tent."

"I can't believe I didn't notice him in there. I'll go get him."

My stomach fell at the thought of losing the bear. It was just a teddy bear and it was easily replaced but I didn't want to have to replace it. Not so soon after getting it.

Darren got to his feet and walked to the edge of the tailgate. I expected him to sit down to get off but he just jumped right off and landed flat on his feet. He jogged to the tent and ducked inside.

I stared up at the sky and all the stars that were above. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky, allowing for the stars to be extra bright. I didn't know anything about stars or constellations but I liked to believe that the stars were good signs.

I was sad to be leaving the campground the next day. I'd been having fun even if I didn't go into the water or try to fish. It was better than being stuck inside all the time.

Darren came back into view holding Ted in his hand. He tossed Ted up to me before he climbed back into the bed of the truck and took his spot in his sleeping bag. "I'm surprised the weather stayed as nice as it did. It's been really nice out this weekend."

I nodded.

"Are you having a good weekend?" He looked over at me.

I nodded. "It's nice out here."

"I know you're still getting used to being with me but I really didn't want to be stuck inside all weekend. Not when it's nice out. But if you don't like camping, we don't have to do it. I don't want to force you to come out here if you don't like it."

"No, I do. It's nice out here."

"There's a lot you haven't seen yet."

I looked back to the stars and found myself getting lost in them. They were so far away yet I felt like I could reach out and touch them. I liked being in a place where the stars could come out. From what I understood, it meant that there weren't as many lights around to hide them. Fewer people. I liked knowing not many people were around.

"The stars are really bright tonight." Darren crossed his arms under his head, relaxing into the sleeping bag.

"They're so pretty."

"I'm really glad you came here with me. You could have easily said no. To all of it, actually."

"I didn't really have a choice. But... it's okay so far."

"Good."