The Party

It was Christmas Eve and we had the family round. It was the only time we ever saw or spoke to anyone else.

"Merry Christmas" I toasted as we all sipped Prosecco. It was a gift of course. There was no way we could afford that regularly. I poured Jamie some grape juice, and Mam too. She was off the booze for now. It was all going so well when in came a guy.

"What's up family" he slurred as he plonked himself down in my seat.

"Mam?" Bonnie questioned

"Sit down sweetheart" he said to me

"Where?" I asked

"Here" he rebutted tapping his lap

"Ew no. It's Christmas, pull yourself together" I replied and slapped the stranger.

That might seem strange to you. Me slapping a stranger. Getting hit on by a random pervert. It was a regular occurrence. Me, as I was 12 months older than Bonnie, being the oldest having to protect our dysfunctional family. Suddenly I remembered the rest of the family was here. They weren't used to this stuff.

"Who are you?" shouted Bonnie defensively

"Well" said Mam clearing her throat "This everyone is Frankie, Frankie is my new boyfriend"

We sighed. Things could only get worse. The awkward gathering continued for another hour before the family started making excuses to leave.

When the house was finally cleared, we put Jamie to bed and went to bed ourselves. Sleep was not an option though, all night long we could here Mam shrieking in ecstasy and Frankie was clearly enjoying himself.

Then it all stopped. The noise. It was just silence. Until the door to our cupboard opened slightly. A pong of rum and vodka and sweat entered the room. As someone climbed onto our bed. Frankie.

The next morning I added another scratch to the abuse wall in our cupboard. One for both me and Bonnie.