The Incident

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" Tobias asks me.

"No. I just... Caleb is so..." I trail off, wanting to punch something.

"I know, Tris. He's just a self-centered little Erudite brat." Tobias says angrily.

"But he's still my brother," I say.

"Of course," he says, and I start crying. He folds me in his arms and kisses the top of my head. "I love you, Tris." I cry for a while until Marcus comes in.

"What?" Tobias asks, he seems really mad.

"You are not going to continue being married to the small little brat, you worthless piece of shit." Marcus says, I don't think he knows what he just got himself into.

"Okay, that's it. Marcus you are dead," Tobias says, and walks up to Marcus slowly. Marcus starts to run but Tobias tackles him.

"Tobias! Get off your father right now!" I order him. Tobias punches him, over and over. He gets up and kicks him. I run off to our apartment crying. I know I shouldn't feel this way, he's done this to Tobias so many times. I lock the front door and run into the bedroom, locking that door, too. I run to the bathroom, lock the door, sit on the counter that has the sink in it, and cry. I hear the doors start opening and Tobias banging on the bathroom door.

"Tris, Tris I know you're in there. Come out! I'm sorry sweetie. Why are you so upset?" He asks, very softly. I honestly don't know. I hate Marcus. I really hate him. But there's something that scared me, and I think I know what.

I speak without opening the door, "It's just that, it scares me when you're like that. I can't handle it," I say through tears. I hear him putting his key in the lock and the door opening. He comes over and embraces me, pulling me off the counter, and kisses me. We kiss for a couple minutes, then pull apart and I ask, "What happened to Marcus?"

"Gone," is all he says. I nod and look down. Then my mother walks in.

"Tris," she starts. "Marcus isn't dead, just severely injured." Tobias just nods.

"Okay," I say, we start to walk back toward Zeke's for Truth or Dare.