Breeze

Breeze couldn’t wait any longer. Sparky and Maple had started trembling from the damp cold an hour ago.

    “I’m going to check what’s out there.” Breeze declared shakily, not used to stating things like that.

Maple and Sparky just nodded slowly, and Terra looked up but didn’t argue. Breeze slid into the water and started swimming. It chilled her down to the bone. She scrambled through the crevice and surfaced as fast as possible. No one was there. To be honest, Breeze would have felt better if Steel and Tide and even Coal were there and had just forgotten. But the waterfall was the only noise echoing around the cave.

Breeze scanned the surrounding woods. No one. Absolutely no one at all. She dove back down and called the others to come up.

    “N-n-no one is h-here.” Terra chattered, surfacing.

Breeze helped Sparky out of the water, then Maple. “They’ll come.” She said, though her voice was wobbly. “They did before.”

Breeze wanted to dry them off with her wind, but she was afraid. She was afraid of over doing it, like in the facility. She wouldn’t forget that. They locked her up for days after that. She was out cold for most of it, but she remembered enough.

Feel the energy, the power, run through you. That’s what the trainer had said.

I don’t want the power. Breeze protested. She had been saying it since she was captured.

Don’t you want to be like your friend? The water one? The trainer asked. Breeze liked her. She seemed to care about Breeze’s feelings. Breeze could talk to this lady. Not the man. The man was too hard, too stone faced. But Breeze could talk to the lady.

Yes. She said. She did want to be like Tide. Tide was strong. Tide could create waves and snow storms and hurricanes. Breeze wanted to be like that.

You need to try then.

I guess.

She had felt it. She let the power flow through every part of her. She had shoved it back for so long it just sort of blasted out. She gasped, but it was too late to stop. The air started to move, rippling past, through her sleeves. Picking up, faster and faster, till it was whipping her hair and the woman’s.

A tornado, roaring around, picking up and throwing everything. The punching bags, the metal plates the leaves from the ivy. Swirling around, spinning, spiraling in the air.

The last thing Breeze saw before she blacked out was the woman’s terrified face, her screams getting ripped away by the wind.

She didn’t see the lady again.