Breaking Up

~Will

"Yes!" Jason and Kayla yelled simultaneously, fist bumping.

"Calm down, Knowles." Austin chided.

"Shut your yap, Lake."

Silence befell us as no one knew what to do. After a moment of everyone staring at one another, Austin said, "Should we -you know- get going? Maybe stop standing around?" A chorus of consent rose.

Nico unfurled his hand from mine and patted Hazel on the head. He whispered, "Thanks," probably thinking I couldn't hear him.

"C'mon," I said to the two, as the other three were already walking down the hallway to the exit of the infirmary.

It was like a biker gang, all of us in a big cluster with looks that could kill. People stepped out of our way and it felt strange, yet exhilarating.

We stormed to the Aphrodite cabin and I banged on the door.

Piper opened the door, looking at all of us, gaze landing last on her boyfriend. Realization lit her eyes, "Mason," she breathed. I couldn't tell what she felt. She left the doorway, telling us to wait there.

The crowd around me fell away to hide around the corner of the cabin.

The dark boy appeared where Piper just was. "What's up, babe?" Mason leaned against the doorway, nonchalant. He looked like the poster child of casual pretentiousness as he ruffled up his hair.

I licked my lips and felt a flicker of sympathy masked with happiness, "I'm breaking up with you."

His face morphed slowly into shock then closed off. "What? Why?" He asked, leaning away from the door.

"Because I don't like you anymore," I raised my head high, to show I was serious, "And I don't want to drag along something that would end in flames later."

His expression turned furious. "You can't break up with me." His eyes started turning light, light, lighter. "I'm-I'm supposed to be breaking up with you! You were supposed to be in love with me!"

"Mason, stop. I know what you were doing." His face paled but he tried to keep himself together.

"What do you mean?" Eyes narrowing, Mason continued, "I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary." Manicured fingernails tapped against his upper arm.

"This is going nowhere." I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Mason, I'm not in love with you. I don't even like you. Bye." And with that, I walked around the corner of the cabin to where the group was waiting.

Five happy faces greeted me, which helped me feel better about being rude. "So?" Nico prompted, leaning forward on his toes a bit.

"It's over. Mason and I, I mean." Nico grinned and sighed in relief, as did the rest of the group.

I felt like a normal person once again, for just a moment.

A flash of burning light came from the front of the absurdly pink cabin. My stomach dropped in dread, though I had no idea why.

I poked my head around the corner to see what the light and the gasps were from. In Mason's place was a muscular young man with snow-white wings, and a bow and quiver was swung over his shoulder. His blood-red eyes were deadly.

"Eros."