Chapter 2

Mgbechi woke up early to warm the left over food. The vegetable soup and akpu ( pounded cassava flour) she made yesterday night which was Lolo's favourite. The best is that the fish was still intact. she loved her daughter dearly, why won't she? She is her only child after all but, that did not blind her to Lolo's faults. Her excessive fondness for meat and fish does not bode well for anybody. Life was hard enough when her father was alive, it is quite unbearable now. It is only her love for her late husband, her child Lolo and the determination to make sure her husband's name did not disappear that kept her going. Moreover, until the elders meet and decide who will inherit her and give her husband more children, Lolo is the only hope of the family. Mgbechi stirred the soup the umpteenth time With the wooden ladle, her worst fear had happened, the fish has completely scattered, none was intact for her to put inside Lolo's soup. Knowing Lolo, she will rather starve herself to death rather than eat without fish or meat in the soup. What do I do? What do I do? As if on cue Lolo chose that moment to wake up. Nne, nne, she called from the room, ehh? Mgbechi answered from the kitchen? Are you awake nnedim? She asked, yes. Nne are you about to go to the farm? Yes, Lolo, get up and fold your mat, then wash your face. Nne, keep food for me o. Remember to put big fish in the soup. Alright, but first wash your face and clean your teeth with chewing stick. I am already dishing out your food, but remember, you are not to eat the fish until you have finished your food. Oonne, Lolo answered from the makeshift behind the house which they use as bathroom. Mgbechi's mind and hands were working feverishly, she broke off a piece of the root prescribed for her stomach cramp. She washed it and dropped it into the smaller earthenware pot meant for serving food, she scooped a generous quantity of the vegetable soup with the ladle and poured it on top of the piece of wood, making sure it covered it completely, then she kept the food where she normally leaves food for Lolo. Mgbechi practically ran all the way to the farm. Foolish child, she thought as she made her way through the narrow part leading to the farm, at least, by the time she realizes the trick she has played on her, she would have eaten enough not to starve.

Hehehehehehe such an annoying mother I swear I can relate.
💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞