Chapter 48

Life was difficult for the Nwokeforo's. Ona will put to bed any moment from then. There were preparations to be made and all involved money. There was also Njide's school fees which had still not been paid. The headmaster had barely restrained himself from sending her home the last time. Mostly because, she had never owed. Ona could not go back to her business immediately because she thought it unwise to start, only to stop again immediately she gives birth. Their food stock was steadily going down. Ona was afraid to touch the money she brought back because that will form the capital for her to go back to her business. As if they were not dealing with enough misfortune already, Maxwell came calling, three weeks later. His mission? He came to collect the bride price. He came alone too. None of his kinsmen will want to accompany him in this criminal venture of his, so, he did not bother to invite anyone. He came straight to the house, he by passed the obi, this is where he ought to have stayed to wait as a visitor which he has become to the family. He brushed passes Obidiye who came to answer the door and moved right into the sitting room. He made himself comfortable on a stool and without preambles told them why he was there. He wants his money back he said. Obidiye thought he was joking. Which money? She asked. ' The bride price' Maxwell answered shamelessly. Which bride price? Obidiye asked in anger, the one you collected three weeks ago? Who collected money from you? Maxwell asked. He denied ever being given any money or having collected a dime from Obidiye. Njide who came out to corroborate what there mother was saying received a slap from Maxwell. Njide rushed to slap back but her mother pulled her back. She joined the screaming march between her mother and Maxwell. Uzoamaka soon joined in. Ona busted into tears. She hated the state of pregnancy which made her week and a watering pot. Their raised voices soon attracted people to the house. They were horrified when they heard the cause of the commotion. Why, even a baby at Ngodo knows that Maxwell had collected his bride price back. It was done in the open. It wasn't something hidden. Many witnesses attested to that. Maxwell said he could not remember having collected any money from Obidiye. He threatened them with police and army, including visitation from armed robbery if they will not return his money. This last bit frightened Obidiye more. Anybody as shameless as Maxwell, may well be an armed robber. Obidiye told him to go back home and come back in two day's time for the money. He agreed to that and left. Maxwell and Ona's marriage became the choicest topic of gossip in the village. The family could barely step out without hearing whisperings and seeing fingers pointing. Thought the village sympathizes with them, since they appear to be the victims in this sorry piece, never the less, it was a juicy piece of gossip. In a village like Ngodo where something of interest happens ones in a blue moon, the villagers squeezes the last juice out of every little excitement before letting it go. The Nwokeforo's sat together and discussed the next line of action. Ona brought the pride price from her money. The precious money she had been saving. But then, it's better to pay it out and buy her family out of Maxwell's wicked hands. Maxwell may actually be an armed robber. Ngodo does not know him well. He was into a lot of shady deeds at Owerri. Maxwell came back bright and early, two days later. Obidiye told him to wait while they go and get the money for him. She went and called Nwneri, her late husband's good friend. She also invited Amadi, but Amadi refused to come. He was still smarting from the insult he received from Maxwell the last time. Obidiye brought out the money and gave it to Nwaneri. He counted it, then gave it to Maxwell with a look of disgust an disdain on his face. Maxwell pretended not to notice. He put the money on his left palm, slapped it twice, wet his fore finger and his thumb with spit and started counting. Obidiye waited with baited breath, he finished counting and pronounced the money complete. Then he rose up to take his leave. Nobody spoke. Nobody bid him goodbye. Nwaneri got up to go thereafter. He told them that they did well in giving him that money, though it hurts being robbed in broad day light like that, but an Igbo proverb said, instead the river will carry me, let it go with my wrapper. The young man seemed to be very dangerous, and worst still, he is quite shameless and has no conscience. Ona should be particularly careful. He concluded. Obidiye thanked him as he also took his leave.