Chapter 3

Dedicated to Roselina2014
Lolo quickly washed her face and stuck a piece of chewing stick into her mouth. Her mother has already gone to the farm. She will go and meet her there later to help her bring back the firewood for their night meal. Lunch is generally eaten in the farm. She closed her eyes and imagine the yummy fish, let it be a really big one, she thought as she made for the food hutch to remove her breakfast. To be certain, she dipped her hand into the soup bowl and stir, she felt a sizable bit of ntanta (chewable) under the vegetables. This boosted her morale and she sat on the floor and commenced eating. From time to time while eating, she will finger the fish in order to reassure herself.. It seems a bit harder than the one she ate yesterday night. May be nne ran out of fish in the soup and decided to cut from the smoked one in the fish rack. She has done that for her countless times. Nne knows that she will not touch the food if there is nothing inside. It's only her mother that understands that fish and meat motivates one to eat. She was almost done eating, when she decided to take a bite out of the fish. She could not believe what her teeth encountered. But wait, it cannot possibly be what she is imagining, please,please, let it not be, her brain screamed as she dug in her teeth deeper, trying to tear a bit of the fish, she succeeded, only to meet the bitter taste sipping out of the root. Lolo let out a wild howl as she kicked the earthenware plates with her leg. Luckily, they didn't break, because they have been made tough by fire. Lolo did not wait to find out what became of the bowls. She simply had to go and meet nne in the farm. She planned to put her fingers in her mouth and vomit all the food for her. She will do it where nne (mother) will see it. That way, she will be sorry for playing such a cheap trick on her. Leaving their door ajar, she sped off towards the farm. She was halfway to the farm when she encountered Nwada, Mazi Okeke's wife. Nwada was surprise to she Lolo run past her without stopping to greet. Moreover, the poor child was sobbing, pitifully. She quickly ran after Lolo and grabbed the child. Ada o gini? She asked. Did anyone beat you? Did you break your water pot? where is your mother? Lolo was irritated by Nwada's inquisitiveness, but the woman was stronger than her. She may not allow her to go unless she satisfied her curiosity. Moreover, it will be good to get the woman's sympathy for all she had suffered that morning. Which mother had ever done that. Imagine giving your child a piece of wood to eat. Her mother was simply wicked, that's what she was. Amidst sobs, Lolo narrated what she suffered in her mother's hands that morning. After the narration, Nwada, still holding on to the hand she grabbed earlier, looked furiously left, and then to the right. She located a shrub, the part leading to the farm was littered with them. She broke off a branch and landed it at Lolo's two legs. She screamed in pain and jumped up. Nwada was not done, she landed it again and again always aiming for Lolo's legs. Lolo kept jumping. You wicked child Nwada screamed at her as she flogged. You want to kill your mother? A bad child that a mother carries on the knees. See bush enter and kill as much meat as you can. Then not only your mother, I too will join in cooking them for you. Lolo in fear turned and ran towards home with Nwada hot on her heels in pursuit. The two of then practically ran all the way back to the house, a distance of more than two kilometers. Lolo ran straight into the house and Nwada swiftly moved in behind her. Now get your mat Nwada instructed standing over her still armed with the cane. Lolo quickly obeyed. Spread it fast, Lolo went about the duty hurriedly even as she tried to control the bitter tears running down her face, as well as the catarrh pouring down her nose. Now, close your eyes and sleep. Lolo lied down fearfully and squeezed her eyes tight. Nwada sat beside her on the mat until the sound of deep sighing and snoring announced that Lolo has slept off. Nwada carefully got up, close the door and left. At least the poor woman will be able to take advantage of the cool morning and get some reasonable amount of work done, instead of pacifying a cranky child, Nwada thought as she made for her house. After all, raising a child is not for one person alone. It is everybody's responsibility.

Laughing okay I guess kids can be a pain in the ass but the are the cutest things in the universe.
💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖