Chapter 10b

At dusk, Goben shot a rabbit with his bow, and we ate it for dinner. He sat so close to the fire, anyone else might have gotten burned. What a funny pair we were. Goben had always been easy going, and we never bickered much as children. But when we did, my parents never had to worry that I might scorch him during one of my temper tantrums. Lately, I'd been thinking what a shame it was that more boys weren't fireproof. Maybe then fewer of them would be scared of me. I silently added "hazardous to your health" to my ever-stretching list of Things That Don't Attract Boys.

Later that night, as Goben's breathing evened out into sleep, I gazed up at the starry landscape above me. The cavernous blue sky during the day held little interest for me, but this. I could get lost in this dark sky. I'd seen swatches of the twinkling sky through the dense trees of Foresthome, and the clearing at the lake provided the best view there, but it was nothing like this all-encompassing expanse. Every part of my periphery was dotted by stars. I felt like I was among them. Was this the connected feeling that Siena spoke of in past conversations? I could stare up at them every night and never be bored.

* * *

The next four days were pretty much the same. Endless walking punctuated with occasional meals. On the fifth day, we noticed the sun didn't feel as warm. At dusk, when we made camp, Goben shivered before scooting even closer to the fire, practically sticking his hands inside it. I offered to keep him warm that night, if he was willing to sleep alongside me, but he declined.

In the morning, I found him huddled under his blanket and pressed up against my back. The temperature had dipped overnight, and the rising sun didn't offer much heat. The cold air felt pleasant against my skin as we got ready for another day of interminable walking, but Goben's arms pressed against his sides, as if trying to ward off the chill.

"Maybe you should pull out your cloak," I suggested.

"I'll be all right once we get moving," he said as he cinched the bedroll to his pack.

"But you're practically shivering. Just put it on," I pressed.

"You're not wearing a cloak."

"Goben, I'm a walking campfire. You need to stay warm."

"It's not that cold."

I frowned at him. "Why are you being so stubborn?"

He folded his arms over his chest. "Maybe it runs in the family."

I'd never seen Goben like this before. He was always so good-natured. Maybe the journey was starting to wear on him.

"Here," I said, yanking my cloak out of my pack and tossing it to him. "Carry this for me. My pack is too heavy, and my shoulders are killing me."

"I don't have room in my pack for it," he said.

"Then put it on!"

He eyed me briefly, then pulled the furry cloak across his shoulders and fastened it. "I know what you're doing," he said as he shrugged into his pack. "I don't need you taking care of me."

"Could've fooled me," I muttered as I stalked past him.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Let's get going."

This daily monotony was getting old fast. Something had better happen soon.

Careful what you wish for... I'm wishing for votes. ;-)