Chapter 16

In the space between my icy bath and my conciliatory conversation with Goben, I had come to a conclusion: It didn't matter what Jastin thought of me. As much as I might have wanted a fresh start in a place where no one knew me, I would still be who I was. Nothing could change that.

I took my silly pile of Things That Don't Attract Boys and buried them. None of those things mattered anymore, because none of it would help me with my mission. Being lovable was not going to find a solution to this plague. The sooner I stopped worrying about it, the better. I would no longer be the overly sensitive, cringing, apologetic girl, desperate for acceptance. My purpose was clear: Burn through the fog of the plague mystery, and shine a light on the cure. Nothing else mattered.

I sat at the table with Goben while he told me about what he'd learned during his village outing. "The plague wiped out half the village," he said as he plucked an apple from a nearby basket. "It was devastating!"

"Only half?" From what I'd seen in Foresthome, everyone who came in contact got sick, except for the Gifted. "Do they have that many Gifted here?"

"No." He rolled the apple from one hand to the other. "They found a combination of herbs that slows the progression of the symptoms."

"Really?" My eyes grew wide. "We need to learn it and bring it back home. Ruba will be so excited!"

At that moment, Jastin returned to the house. I could tell by his cautious expression that he wasn't sure what to expect when he came inside. I smiled to put him at ease, and he smiled back. He carried a loaf of bread under each arm. I pushed back the twinge of guilt for having eaten his other loaf. No more cringing. Feeling bad was a waste of time.

"That smells good," I commented. My mouth actually watered a little.

"Fresh-baked today." He placed one loaf in the basket and another in the middle of the table. Then he plunked down something round and heavy wrapped in cloth. It smelled pungent and, well, a little gross.

He settled into the chair across from me and unwrapped the cloth. The smell overpowered me, and I fought to keep a neutral face as I peered at the cylindrical lump.

"Not fresh-baked today," he joked.

I looked at Goben, who wore the same carefully blank expression I did.

"It's specially aged cheese. A delicacy," Jastin said, looking from me to Goben. "Have you not had it?"

We shook our heads, whereupon he produced a knife and began cutting a slice out of the cylinder. "You must try a piece. Here."

He held the slice in front of me, and I broke a small portion off from the tip. Then he offered the slice to Goben, who also broke off a piece. I examined the strangely textured chunk, then sniffed it. I pulled my head back and blinked, crinkling my nose. I looked at Jastin again, only to find him popping a piece into his mouth and chewing on it happily. Goben's reaction to the piece he held was pretty much the same as mine.

"It's had all summer to age to perfection," Jastin said with enthusiasm.

It smelled rotten.

He looked at us with so much expectation that I had very little choice if I didn't want to be rude. I put it in my mouth and chewed.

I should have just bitten off a tiny piece. I mean, really tiny. Because it was like chewing on solidified vomit. I fought mightily against the urge to gag, and quickly tore off a hunk of bread to stuff into my mouth. I handed the loaf to Goben, who looked as green as I felt.

After choking it all down, Jastin held the cheese in front of me again.

I held my hands up, and said, "Thank you, but no. I'm afraid I don't have the gift of cheese appreciation."

Jastin laughed. "I admit I thought it was horrible when I was a child, but I grew to love it. I must say, the look on your face was priceless."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You're lucky I didn't spew that right on the table." I didn't care about projecting an unladylike image anymore.

Jastin laughed again and turned to watch Goben finish his strangled swallow. "I think your sister fared better than you did, friend."

"I don't see how," he sputtered. "It's like that time Ruba made me drink some kind of tree bark tea mixed with rancid hog fat." He shivered at the memory.

"Ruba is our resident herbalist," I explained. "Speaking of which, I understand your village herbalist has found a way to slow the progression of plague symptoms?"

Jastin sobered. "Yes, thank goodness for Vina. She is gifted with plant knowledge. She can look at any growing thing and tell you its uses. She was able to put together a combination to combat the symptoms. Unfortunately, she has not found a cure."

"Whatever is causing this isn't natural," I said. "At least, that's what our healer said. She can heal injuries and sickness with a touch of her hand, but she can't get rid of this."

"This is troubling. Why have you come here for answers?"

I told him all about Dozan, his father, the cave, and their path of disease. I left out the part about Dozan's seductive abilities, for obvious reasons.

"I remember this fellow," he said, brow creasing with ire. "They did not heed my warnings about the cave. I gave them shelter, and still they would not listen. If only I'd known . . . " His hands curled into fists. "My family was the first to suffer. Those thoughtless fools said nothing!"

"I don't think they knew," I said gently.

I watched his jaw muscle twitch, and imagined my own fury if the same had happened to my family. I would probably kill Dozan, for sure. "Whatever is causing this, I'd bet anything that the answers are in that cave. What do you know about it?"

"Only stories. Those who dare to go in never return."

Goben's eyes widened. "No one?"

"Dozan's father was the first, that we know of."

"What's in there?" I asked.

"No one knows, and the only man to come out would not say. They say the walls of the cave glitter with magic."

I narrowed my eyes. "If Dozan's father is the only one to have escaped the cave, then where did these stories come from? Because he wasn't talking."

Jastin shrugged, eyes shifting away with embarrassment. "Where does any story come from? They are passed along until no one knows its true source. I wish I had more information for you."

I tapped on my chin in thought. "Then I'm going to find out what's in there."

"And then what?" Goben said doubtfully. "We don't even know what we're dealing with."

"I'll destroy it, whatever is causing this. I'm good at destroying things." My smile had a rueful twist to it. "Do you know where this cave is, Jastin?"

"I don't know if that's a good idea," he hedged. "No one has ever returned."

"But none of them were like me, were they?" I reminded him.

"But you're—"

"What, a girl?" I finished for him. "Have you met me?" I raised my open palm and summoned a roiling flame that would outshine a torch. "I think I'll be all right."

He stared at it in wonder, shifting his gaze to study the determination on my face. "There's no changing your mind?"

I shook my head.

"You could die."

"My home will die if I don't. Maybe yours too."

He dropped his gaze and rubbed his chin in thought, mulling over the truth of my words. When he looked up again, his blue eyes held a hint of iron. "Then I'm going with you."

And another adventure commences! How about a vote for good luck?