Chapter 6

"An interview?"

Zayn raised his eyebrows at Harry, not really sure if he had heard him correctly. Harry pulled out his phone, tapped the screen a few times, and nodded.

"Yeah. Tomorrow. Two, actually."

Zayn let out a long breath. Great. He knew that he was gonna mess this up in some way. Harry returned his phone to his back pocket.

"Don't worry. One of them is by yourself, but the other is with Louis. You'll do fine."

Zayn shrugged his shoulders. "I don't know..."

He really just wanted to sigh and sit down. He hadn't even thought about having to do interviews. At least one of them is with Louis. Maybe he'll do all the talking.

-+-

It was five o'clock when Zayn got a chance to leave set. It felt really early, considering the long days that he'd been having, but he wasn't going to complain. It was refreshing.

He was about to get into his car when a voice behind him yelled, "Zayn! Wait!"

Zayn turned then, one hand lightly gripping the handle on the car door. His stomach flipped when he saw Louis jogging towards him, his left hand at his belt loop, holding his jeans up. He came to a halt right in front of Zayn and took a deep breath.

"Hey."

There was a light breeze that made a few pieces of Louis's hair dance around, and Zayn wanted to reach out and brush it to the side. But that might be a bit too forward, for Zayn at least, so his hands stayed still.

"Hello."

Louis caught his breath after a moment, smoothing down his shirt and bringing the loose strands of his fringe to the side. He pushed his thumbs into his back pockets and scuffed the bottom of one black van against the concrete. His eyes didn't leave Zayn's.

"Are you..." Something caught the actor's eye, because he looked over a little. His gaze was quickly back to Zayn, though, and he continued.

"Are you free tonight?" he asked, almost sounding nervous. His left hand came up again to fix his hair, only to go back to his pocket. Zayn nodded.

"Yeah. Why?"

He was expecting Louis to invite him to do something with him and Harry, or to go out with Liam and Niall. Zayn's car keys clinked in his hand while he awaited Louis's answer.

The actor looked down at the ground for a moment while he spoke. "Well, um... I was wondering if you wanted to... I don't know, get dinner or something? Just the two of us?"

And then Zayn dropped his keys, letting them fall through the air to clatter noisily on the pavement. He crouched down swiftly to retrieve them, and when he stood back up to meet Louis's gaze, his eyes were wide.

"You mean... Like a date?"

Louis nodded, his face falling a bit. "Yeah, um... If that's alright with you."

Zayn took a moment to take it all in. What did he do to deserve an opportunity like this? The corners of his mouth turned up ever so slightly as he said, "Yeah! Yes. It... It sounds great."

When Zayn responded, Louis slumped over, looking relieved. He immediately straightened up after that, though, and smiled at Zayn, white teeth shining.

"Great! So, tonight? How about..." Louis pulled his phone out of his back pocket, pressing a button on the front and making the screen illuminate.

"Six thirty? I'll pick you up then, if that's alright?"