25...

North repeated his question,

“Jack, would you like to be a Guardian?” Jack nodded and stood proudly in front of us. The kids had gathered around, watching intently and North recited the oath. Jack answered firmly,

“I will.” Everyone cheered with joy and I strummed my guitar. I began playing and enchanted the instrument to play on its own. I was grabbed by Jack and whirled around. I laughed truly for the first time in forever. We began dancing and all the others joined in. Jamie and his friends began a snowball fight. Jack leaned in and kissed me on the cheek, making me blush crimson because the Guardians were looking.

“I remember who Mary was.” Jack murmured into my ear. I tensed slightly.

“She was my sister. I saved her. That’s why the Moon chose me to be a Guardian.” He smiled mostly to himself for finding out his true past and his purpose.

“Thanks.” I said. He inclined his head this time. Wow, it was like déjà vu except I was the one thanking him.

“For the kiss.” I smirked and he blushed. Jamie ran up to hug Jack when we were departing ways. Some cries of protest were heard but Jack reassured them that we would all stay in their hearts. They were heroes too. They were our Guardians.

As the sleigh rose into the air to the jingle of bells, Jack entwined his hand in mine. He gazed into the clouds before we vanished through the portal. Whenever the Moon tells you something, believe it.