1...

My job is bringing kids the delight of music. I’m a Guardian. Have you ever heard that life would be dull without music? Well, I’m the one behind your favorite song or the tune that you can’t get out of your head. I’m the person who can give you a song to play your life along to. My story skips to when I was perched in a tree strumming on the guitar I always kept with me. The smoothed wood and tight six strings were my key to escape the world of guardians and children and ponder alone in a place with flitting slow notes. It was a sunny day, in the fall, the slight wind chilling me through my thin cardigan. The leaves were just beautiful, with all the magnificent hues of red, orange, and yellow. I heard the snap of a twig interrupt my song and I stopped playing abruptly, my guitar transforming into a sleek tan bow notched with an arrow. I swiveled towards the crackle of the leaves under someone’s foot.

“Ah. Melody. Long time no tune.” sneered a tall dark figure looming over me. The forest suddenly turned black and the shadows seemed to dance around. A chill ran through my spine, causing me to involuntarily shiver. The darkness fell as if it was being pulled by gravity itself. I heard a whinny of an impatient horse. I knew immediately who it was.

“Pitch.” I growled, subconsciously fingering my silver treble clef charm on my necklace.

“I thought you were dead.” I continued, not bothering to hide my contempt.

“I am too powerful for the petty ‘believe’ silliness you Guardians try.” he replied with a sneer.

“Aw, just when I was about to miss you, you come back.” I mocked. I released my hold on the arrow but he swatted it away just before it reached his heart. Impossible. My arrows can pierce anything, even Sandy’s creations. (That was an accident.) Pitch clucked his tongue.

“I’m afraid you’re out of practice.” he cackled. One glance into his dark eyes answered my unasked question. He smirked.

“Oh, he’s fine.” I shook my head, trying to rid myself of the nightmare.  I jumped down from the tree, landing softly on my heels and started running. I dug the glass globe North gave me in case of an emergency out of my quiver. I felt fear closing in, literally. He was chasing my heels, popping in and out of the shadows. I threw it at the ground and yelled my destination. I disappeared in a blur of darkness and light.